• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build ideas, thoughts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeum54

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Doing my monthly gun/barrel cleaning this weekend ran across it again. "It" being a 44x1 1/8 50 cal. Douglas barrel blank. I've had it for many years and haven't been able to decide what to do with it.

Don't wanna bore out or cut down to lighten and ruin the bit of history this barrel has, but im not against having it swamped. Thought about a bench or chunk gun but that's not really my thing.

Can that size of a barrel be swamped enough to handle well? That's what i would actually like to do with it. I've handled a few 40 ish long swamped 54,58 barrels but only 1 inch at the thickest and they handled pretty well.

Any who, just ramblin a bit, looking for opinions while cleaning guns and tending to my smoker🍻. Have a good one.

Doing my monthly gun/barrel cleaning this weekend ran across it again. "It" being a 44x1 1/8 50 cal. Douglas barrel blank. I've had it for many years and haven't been able to decide what to do with it.

Don't wanna bore out or cut down to lighten and ruin the bit of history this barrel has, but im not against having it swamped. Thought about a bench or chunk gun but that's not really my thing.

Can that size of a barrel be swamped enough to handle well? That's what i would actually like to do with it. I've handled a few 40 ish long swamped 54,58 barrels but only 1 inch at the thickest and they handled pretty well.

Any who, just ramblin a bit, looking for opinions while cleaning guns and tending to my smoker🍻. Have a good one.
In my opinion would be a shame to mess with that barrel. It would make a nice cross stick rifle. If I could still shoot cross sticks I would jump at the chance to have it combined with the under hammer lock kit I have it would be a match winner. I also have a Douglas barrel 7/8" .45 cal. that's been sitting in the work shop probably 30 years. Will probably become a rifle as my next project.

Make a big ole fat half-stock Tryon/Creedmoor'ish target rifle out of it. I saw one like it at last year's TN-AL Longrifle show; 12+ (guessing) pound artillery gun lol.

Last edited:
Back