• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Super Blue on brass...not working?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog1911

40 Cal
Reaction score
I want to age the brass on my rifle, so started trying. I soaked the brass in acetone, in case there was any lacquer. I did not see any indication that there was stuff coming off.

Picked up Super Blue, put some in a separate container, and applied with q-tips. I let it sit for about 20 minutes.

So, first thing. The liquid didn't seem to "age" uniformly. I just kept applying over. Then I hit it with 0000 steel wool. The black came off fairly easy, and it didn't seem that there was the patina I was expecting.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

There are chemicals specifically used to put patina on different types of metals in stained glass applications. I am guessing the copper patina would work well on brass.

I've never used Super Blue, but I have used others. They all turned brass black very fast, 44-40 is instant. Let dry, lighten chosen areas with light strokes of 4 0 steel wool.

If you don't mind removing the pieces from the gun plain old white vinegar works fine. The vapor from the vinegar is what does the aging not the liquid. Put the pieces in a container above the liquid and seal airtight overnight will be enough and your brass will look years old.

What parts are you working on. I know some cast buttplates and trigger guards advertised as brass are actually bronze.
Robby

I want to age the brass on my rifle, so started trying. I soaked the brass in acetone, in case there was any lacquer. I did not see any indication that there was stuff coming off.

Picked up Super Blue, put some in a separate container, and applied with q-tips. I let it sit for about 20 minutes.

So, first thing. The liquid didn't seem to "age" uniformly. I just kept applying over. Then I hit it with 0000 steel wool. The black came off fairly easy, and it didn't seem that there was the patina I was expecting.

Must use brass blacking. Bluing won't work on brass. There are recipes foraging brass, I'm sure someone here will know them to forward to you. Probable several guys.

I have always had good success using the black powder fowling on cleaning patches, but for builds, or when brass components can be removed and submerged in a solution this product does an excellent job of creating an authentically aged appearance when rubbing back the darkened finish with a fine grade of Scotch Brite or steel wool. It used to be offered by Jim Kibler, but is also currently available direct off the web.
A928F767-71E5-4592-AF51-86208E551713.jpeg

I have always had good success using the black powder fowling on cleaning patches, but for builds, or when brass components can be removed and submerged in a solution this product does an excellent job of creating an authentically aged appearance when rubbing back the darkened finish with a fine grade of Scotch Brite or steel wool. It used to be offered by Jim Kibler, but is also currently available direct off the web.
View attachment 101869
Thanks! Was not aware.

Whatever you do, just don't soak your brass/bronze part in ammonia. Given some time that will crack it.

Mouse pee, fumes from kitty litter, storage in horse barn, do the same. Can be an expensive problem, when storing something of brass in the attic.

Because, of course, no one believes it.

This cracked & repaired old bronze frame revolver was stored in a horse barn after the cavalry stopped shooting some years ago.
1635604192823.png

One sure way to age brass is to remove the brass parts and place in an air tight container with white vinegar and salt. No need to submerge the parts. The fumes will do the work. The longer it sits the more aged it will look. Then just rinse it in baking soda and water to neutralize It. Any over dark areas can buff out to the desired sheen. I wanted a subdued look on my Griswold and it worked well.

I have this Spiller and Burr coming soon and I will be using the vinegar and salt method on this piece to get rid of that glaring shine!

0C244622-6F09-4A99-A8D9-778AD0ECFCB6.png

Got good results w/ 44/40 cold bluing....apply and it instantly turns the brass black. Rub w/ 0000 steel wool to whatever amount of aging you want. Simple as can be.....Fred

Just let it age naturally. The patina will develop as it should. Phony aging is seldom convincing. Powder residue will do it soon enough.

One sure way to age brass is to remove the brass parts and place in an air tight container with white vinegar and salt. No need to submerge the parts. The fumes will do the work. The longer it sits the more aged it will look. Then just rinse it in baking soda and water to neutralize It. Any over dark areas can buff out to the desired sheen. I wanted a subdued look on my Griswold and it worked well.
Yep!

Back