• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refinished 1851 navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I couldn't stand the ultra thin blue black that Uberti uses, It was wearing at the muzzle with just a few trips...So I did what an sane person would do...I kinda aged it lol. A trip or two and it will wear just like I want. I soaked in it white viniger for three minutes and I had a silver gun. Washed it down with baking soda and oiled the bore and cylinder and let dry. Then did my mix of BC Plum brown and BC super blue.

Used a heat gun to apply the mix let sit card and repeat until I was satisfied. Oiled it up now to go shoot..hahahah I also used some kibler bone black on the grips to darken the wood it may not be for everyone but it's mine and I love the look. I will probably do the frame and loading lever at some time as well as age the brass.

Attachments

• 20230730_154716.jpg
    20230730_154716.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
I think it looks good, what is your mixture between plum and blue?
I put what I think I'll use in a dish. I use two tea spoons of BC Plum brown to one cap full of BC super blue mixed up. Just make sure to clean the metal with acetone and use gloves to not get any oil from your skin.

Dull down that color case with some gentle steel wool to match is what I did. VERY gentle so as to not remove it all. Just the brightness.

I've done similar with my project 51 Navy. Got rid of everything on the left side of the barrel except for euroarms and 36 Cal on the right side. They both got filed down a bit so they're not so prominent now, almost discrete. Was even thinking of removing the .36 Cal but still undecided about that.

Ever think of stamping the serial number like the originals on the barrel, wedge, and even trigger guard? Mine would need a 2.5mm stamp. The .36 cal on the trigger guard is tiny - but the 51s didn't have that. Probably didn't need it since there wasn't a similar pistol in 44.

Done, I will take better pictures outside when I get a chance. The frame, hammer, rammer, trigger and brass all aged. After a few trips it should darken the brass nice.

Attachments

• 20230806_164949.jpg
    20230806_164949.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Back