• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suggestions for 'old time' dark/black stain or dye?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FYI, my friend @tarawa1943 on here just picked up this fishtail-stocked matchlock with a nice dark stain on it. Such early arms were often 'blackened', for lack of better words.

Anyone have any suggestions for such a dark or black dye/stain from real world experience?

Thanks in advance!

Blk.jpg

A couple coats of strong tannic acid solution, followed by vinegaroon, is one traditional method of ebonizing wood. Tannic acid followed by ferric nitrate can turn a stock very dark but usually not "black".

Heretical, but, alphalt dissolved in a drying oil, that is if you are lookin for something "not modern".It is easily adjusted to the intensity needed. Experiment first to determine drying time. I have seen it used to produce lighter browns all the way to ebony.

Heretical, but, alphalt dissolved in a drying oil, that is if you are lookin for something "not modern".It is easily adjusted to the intensity needed. Experiment first to determine drying time. I have seen it used to produce lighter browns all the way to ebony.
Asphalt makes great violin coloring. I never went past dark brown though.

I have some dry dye powder that mixes with water. I purchased it on eBay when I was building guitars. They also make some that mixes with solvents.

Angelus black leather dye it is alcohol based so it doesn't raise the grain like Frieberg which is water based.

When I restore something that I want an aged black look, I have used India Ink which has shellac. Puts an antique looking finish on something, but I never used it on something as large as a gunstock.

Just thought I chime in, no experience in staining wood but wasn't there something many decades ago called "lamp black" ? Which I always thought was made from the soot created from different lighting methods. I may be way off the mark on this but I used to have some small kerosene lamps hanging from my fireplace and had one "spill" the soot onto the carpet. It was damn near impossible to get out.

I use vinegar with steel wool dissolved in it (called "Ebonizing") to use on hard woods such as Walnut, Cherry, Oak... comes out quite black
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/finishing/ebonizing_wood/
In a small jar I put about 1/2 cup of 5% vinegar and a steelwool pad ..in a week I have a water based stain that turns most hardwoods a deep gray/black…darkens pine too…once you learn how it behaves you can use it to antique wooden things.

Latest posts

Back