• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kren626

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Kibler Woodsrunner rifle and the ramrod appears to have become warped. I can get it 90% of the way back into the slot under the rifle but going any further it will get stuck and very difficult to get it back out. Any suggestions on how to repair this or straighten the ramrod?

Have you cut it yet? They're made to be long so you can cut them down to your preferred length. Warping is good to a point, it helps keep them secured in the pipes. Sorry I don't know if it's been completed yet or not haha.

Last edited:
We straighten wood arrows all the time. Roll it on the kitchen table to find the warp spot and then bend it gently. If many tries don't work try to hold it over a steam kettle. Another technique is to rub the high side vigorously with a hard round steel like a screwdriver. Any warp can be fixed.

I have a Kibler Woodsrunner rifle and the ramrod appears to have become warped. I can get it 90% of the way back into the slot under the rifle but going any further it will get stuck and very difficult to get it back out. Any suggestions on how to repair this or straighten the ramrod?
Don't sand it period do as "Deerstalker" said.

Is it hitting the front lock bolt or barrel pin? Did you put finish on the rod? Is it hitting the entry pipe? Is there enough taper on the rod. A 3/8" rod won't go in a 3/8" hole? I had to put a pretty good taper all the way past the entry pipe on the one I assembled.
Push the rod in til it sticks and spin it. Then look for the shiny spot on the rod.

I think there's a Kibler video where he addresses straightening a bent ramrod, but it's not the main content of the video, so you might have to do some searching and screening to find it. Probably easiest to just buy a new ramrod blank. They're not that expensive.

Straighten it and sand it down, I chuck my oversized ramrods in a drill and run 220 paper up and down ramrod on the tight end with the drill running until they slide right in.

Sometimes you have something in the ramrod channel, lock bolt or underlug that needs to be addressed.

I had this in my SMR, not much, a ramrod would go in but snag on the lug coming out, a little filing took care of it.

kibler ramrod hole.jpg

The ramrods need sanded for sure. The Kibler instuctions should make it clear.

Follow Jim's advise - he built the kit and he knows his stuff why would you mess around doing other things that may get you into deep yogurt?
Heating a ramrod with a heat gun will get a bend out of a ramrod no doubt about it IF that is what is required to fix your issue :dunno:.

The Woodsrunner ramrod is supposed to taper the last foot or so. The hole too is tapered or narrowed down to the next smaller size. Look at the threaded tip provided in the kit. Hold it up to one end of the rod. That will show you the amount of taper necessary for things to fit.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRILL OUT THE HOLE. You'll impact the integrity of that area of the stock if you do. Weakening it and even possibly poking a hole through it. Sanding the rod is easier than boring the hole.

This question doesn't come up much but it does come up enough where I would expect a supplement to the instructions in the kit. The Woodsrunner in particular seems to be used by many as their first time builds. That alone would suggest more detailed instructions in the kit.

Slow and easy wins this race.

Back