• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck Jag....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So trying to clean the bore of my Fox River Fifty....

I ran a wired bore brush with Hoppe 9 down the bore a few times and decided to run a patch to see what crud was in there.

.50cal Jag on ramrod with thundercloud cleaning patch.... made it to the bottom and thats it... will not come back up.......

Reckon I should have ran that brush bout 10000 more times before running a patch or use a smaller Jag...
Did you get it out yet? If not I’d soak it in oil, then try compressed air. Black powder maniac ( mark humphries) has an intersting video of him using co2 cartridges blowing out dry balls. I’ve been in your position before, normally I shoot it out, using 10-20 grains of BP, I’ve had to use compressed air one time.

You just described the entire forum. What's your point?
Watching the clown car pull up in the center ring at the circus is funny the first time when you’re 6….
All the viable solutions were given on page one except pulling the breech plug….the next 6 pages are the classic “FORUM CLOWN CAR”.

The OP has a 99 cent sidelock with its cleaning jag most likely jammed into the poorly machined and fitted drum/breech…none of us, me included can actually do a d*mn thing …
’cept run around the clown car on page 8….9….10…trying to show everyone how experienced and smart we are…classic FORUM CLOWN CAR

Watching the clown car pull up in the center ring at the circus is funny the first time when you’re 6….
All the viable solutions were given on page one except pulling the breech plug….the next 6 pages are the classic “FORUM CLOWN CAR”.

The OP has a 99 cent sidelock with its cleaning jag most likely jammed into the poorly machined and fitted drum/breech…none of us, me included can actually do a d*mn thing …
’cept run around the clown car on page 8….9….10…trying to show everyone how experienced and smart we are…classic FORUM CLOWN CAR
To be fair. I appreciate all help,advice, and knowledge given on this post. Guess Ill just go use my 99cent used to be rifle to sweep the raccoons off the porch now.

To be fair. I appreciate all help,advice, and knowledge given on this post. Guess Ill just go use my 99cent used to be rifle to sweep the raccoons off the porch now.
Every method to get your problem solved has been mentioned? If you can't get it out the suggestions will remain the same?There is no need to keep on sayong the same thing over and over again?Carry the rifle to a gunsmith or a machinist or get another one.

What got my jag stuck was the flared tip on my ramrod, thought I would never get it out. Ordered some ramrod tips that are straight and everything runs smooth now. GOOD LUCK and don't give up. Might be a good idea to tell everyone just where everything in barrel is now because this crowd will find a solution.

Every method to get your problem solved has been mentioned? If you can't get it out the suggestions will remain the same?There is no need to keep on sayong the same thing over and over again?Carry the rifle to a gunsmith or a machinist or get another one.
I have another rifle as to why im not freaking out about this one being in a jam

What got my jag stuck was the flared tip on my ramrod, thought I would never get it out. Ordered some ramrod tips that are straight and everything runs smooth now. GOOD LUCK and don't give up. Might be a good idea to tell everyone just where everything in barrel is now because this crowd will find a solution.
Its by the breech. So until I get the grease to it. It will remain a coon sweeper

The jag won’t shoot out…is there some reason you can’t clamp that barrel in a padded vise and unscrew the side drum first then unscrew the breech plug to remove the stuck jag?…that’s what a gunsmith will charge you $120.00 for him to do six months from now…and we’re heading to page 8…
I own both custom guns I’ve built and 99cent guns…often the 99 cent guns have the side drum protruding into barrel or a metal sliver hanging there or some issue with the rear plug that grabs the patch or jag…if that jag isn’t shooting out, something is seriously ill fitted…like for instance the drum is positioned forward of the jag, instead of cut into the face of breechplug.

Most of the time a gunsmith will charge too much, take 6 months to do a 20 minute job and a person should learn to do this type of thing on their own.
I have a great black powder gunsmith. Quick and reasonable.

If one is helpless and cannot understand what people are telling him, it them is a bad idea to work on his own stuff. Some people should not do this stuff.

If one is helpless and cannot understand what people are telling him, it them is a bad idea to work on his own stuff. Some people should not do this stuff.
I get what ya saying. I understand fully what people are suggesting. Just havent gotten around to trying it all yet.

Little harsh there sturmkatze, and gunsmiths as a rule are neither quick nor reasonable.

Really? Be real. I was very calm. It's another 7 page thread. I guess that you have a bad gunsmith
Maybe he has no gunsmith!
At least not one that works on muzzleloaders.
I don't. If you want a fantastic custom 1911, I've got a guy about 20 minutes away. Customization of one of these plastic guns,,, same guy has a few guys under him. Custom mods to an AR platform rifle? We have a few guys within half hour to and hour.
But if you need work done on a muzzleloader,,,, you're out of luck. It's hard to find someone that will even work on older cartridge guns. The one guy I know of takes months to do anything, he works alone and has an entire gun store to run.

And yes, I'm sorry, but your initial response that @TDM responded to did seem harsh and overly critical.
I agree this has gone on pretty long, with a lot of repetition,,, but consider that not everyone is fortunate to have access to someone who can or will work on these things.

Last edited:
Back