• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck Jag....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you tell me the exact fitting to use
Go to a auto parts or farm implement store and get or order a Plews 05-045 grease gun needle nozzle. Attach it to your grease gun ( never hurts to pour a oil or tranny fluid down the barre to lube ahead of time ) Remove nipple if possible, hold grease gun tip tightly to drum or flash-hole if a flintlock and have another person pumping the grease gun ( will use usually a whole tube of grease) I like to put a dowl down the barrel and you can see the grease walking out the stuck object about a inch at a time. Clean up with paper towels and kerosine- white gas or something similar. Somewhat messy but works great. No need to thread anything in, just holding the tip to the hole or even the nipple works.

No nee

d to thread it if you get someone to help, one to hold the tip tight and the other to pump.
Maybe with a somewhat ‘non removable’ touchhole liner in flintlock it’s a good option, but at buck or two for a threaded fitting at the auto parts store, why fight keeping a tip sealed up and in place in a threaded hole?

Somebody on facebook didnt read this thread lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209_154948_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209_154948_Facebook.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 0
This is a typical post that turns into a comic strip. Just from lack of real thought and communication. Let's see I came in late and I know how to fix it, just tell me what is broken! Another dry ball? Where is it stuck! It is at the muzzle! No it is at the breech! It is not a ball it is a jag! He can't shoot it out he is in an apartment in New York city! All ready broke my wood cleaning rod but just grab it in the vise to twist and yank some more! Do I burn it out before the grease gun or vise versa! We need the pictures to go along with the strip.

Tried yesterday to shoot it out. No dice.
And then we have a very detailed answer on a attempt to shoot it out. Describing procedure used, how many tries and amount of powder used.

This is a typical post that turns into a comic strip. Just from lack of real thought and communication. Let's see I came in late and I know how to fix it, just tell me what is broken! Another dry ball? Where is it stuck! It is at the muzzle! No it is at the breech! It is not a ball it is a jag! He can't shoot it out he is in an apartment in New York city! All ready broke my wood cleaning rod but just grab it in the vise to twist and yank some more! Do I burn it out before the grease gun or vise versa! We need the pictures to go along with the strip.

And then we have a very detailed answer on a attempt to shoot it out. Describing procedure used, how many tries and amount of powder used.
5 attempts using 5 grains....... any more questions?

You just described the entire forum. What's your point?

And every other forum on every other topic for the most part.
I am involved with one other that isn't like this,,,, but it is very slow, there isn't really a lot of activity,,, but then,, what is said is usually of value.

Almost rather just keep my.eyes open for.a replacement barrel than open that can of worms lol.
Oh good lord, go to a gunsmith. That's what they do. There has to be one close. If not, you could send the barrel, unless it has powder in it. Whatev. This is ridiculous. No matter what people suggest, you're trying everything but to do it. Gunsmiths GET PAID to do stuff like this.

Sorry you feel that way, I do not think that at all. This forum is a very good source of information most of the time. And works best when poster gives complete information and or pictures so replies can be more helpful.
5 attempts using 5 grains....... any more questions?
Since the jag and a patch is stuck it might require a more of a quick pressure method then grease will accomplish. There is a good chance one side of the patch is not caught even around to seal. And is why 5gr may not be enough. Grease with a patched ball works great. Still feel shooting it out is your best bet. Using 4f and upping the charge to compensate for the possible leak around the jag. Am assuming it is 50 cal because that is the size jag you used. Try 10 or next 20 grains. Then you can say it will not shoot out.

So for those of you that don't have a local gunsmith in the area, shooting it out failed at the range, can't shoot it out at home,,,, the best (or most common) advice here amounts to, drive back and forth to the range (hopefully you are part of a club and don't have range fees every visit) to hopefully get it to shoot out on another try. I hope you have one of those cards for the gas station that saves you at least a few cents per gallon.

I know for me that is a minimum of a 20 to 30 minute drive that includes a lot of gas sucking stoplights.....

Maybe with a somewhat ‘non removable’ touchhole liner in flintlock it’s a good option, but at buck or two for a threaded fitting at the auto parts store, why fight keeping a tip sealed up and in place in a thr

Oh good lord, go to a gunsmith. That's what they do. There has to be one close. If not, you could send the barrel, unless it has powder in it. Whatev. This is ridiculous. No matter what people suggest, you're trying everything but to do it. Gunsmiths GET PAID to do stuff like this.
Most of the time a gunsmith will charge too much, take 6 months to do a 20 minute job and a person should learn to do this type of thing on their own.

Back