• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck Bore Brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I ended up with some no name copy of a Charleville musket with a dark rough looking bore. Not a stamp or proof anywhere on this. I have scrubbed worse to shooting condition. In any event, while running a wire bore brush up and down the bore with a power drill, I accidentally engaged the reverse button and the brush turned right off the rod. So then I tried to snag it with a small diameter brush which just came apart!!! So I am thinking of pulling the breech plug, but the casting looks iffy. Lock internals rough looking, too, but function. Any thoughts on the advisability of putting that tang in a vice? Other options?
20230719_104125.jpg
20230719_104310.jpg

If yo have a lathe make two guide bushings with a hole in the center, One bushing with a flange larger than the bore having a step that just fits the bore and drilled to a less than snug fit for the tapped round you were driving with the drill. The other bushing should be a close fit to the bore with the center hole a fairly snug fit to the drive rod. Slide down bore and turn by hand until engaged.

Am I the only one that thinks that looks like it's been soaked in evaporust or some similar product. The color and overall appearance are just like super crusty items I've cleaned with it. Also the surface texture on the rear of the barrel matches the breach plug?

Run a well-lubricated, thin sleeve down the bore to contact the brush, then insert a hole-saw inside the sleeve, and turn/twist the saw through the brass bristles. You should the be able to clean out the bore.

Run a piece of copper or aluminum tubing down the barrel and over the brush, then pull out.
That^. What is the bore size?You want a tube with an OD just under bore size, but failing that as long as it is close it should still capture the brush.

I wonder if the small brush will interfere with this? I live in a pretty small town. Not a lot of sources.

I’m afraid it will… otherwise the tubing will work in most cases..

I your situation if you don’t have good patch worm this would give you a good reason too buy one.

The only other option I can think of that
“might” possibly work would be an old school speedometer cable….

Fray one end and run it down the bore too the obstruction and slowly twist it but hand until it stops, then pull the cable back out … hopefully with the brush in tow…👍

They work great for twisting a squirrel out of a small hollow tree as well… Dad always kept one rolled up in his hunting coat.👍

Last edited:
Back