• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anti Brush Rhetoric.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting read. It explains some of the comments on my Bore Brush Storage post.

I've always used a brush because that's what the Owner's Manuals and other literature said when I started this journey.

The only times I've ever got one stuck was because it was either too big or brand new. They're few and far between. I've never had one break or unravel. The only thing I've noticed is that if I screw it in the rod all the way, it follows the grooves and twists crooked.

I'll admit a nylon one might be better but can't see any reason a soft Bronze or Brass brush would hurt my modern steel bore.

My main reason for using a brush is that cleaning patches aren't cheap and they get used up quickly. Yeah, I could buy some material and cut my own but that's kind of a pain in the arse.

You've given me food for thought.

Thanks!

Walt

Interesting read. It explains some of the comments on my Bore Brush Storage post.

I've always used a brush because that's what the Owner's Manuals and other literature said when I started this journey.

The only times I've ever got one stuck was because it was either too big or brand new. They're few and far between. I've never had one break or unravel. The only thing I've noticed is that if I screw it in the rod all the way, it follows the grooves and twists crooked.

I'll admit a nylon one might be better but can't see any reason a soft Bronze or Brass brush would hurt my modern steel bore.

My main reason for using a brush is that cleaning patches aren't cheap and they get used up quickly. Yeah, I could buy some material and cut my own but that's kind of a pain in the arse.

Thanks!

Walt
I buy the 3M "Doodlebug" scrubbing pads for a number of uses. The white ones are the least aggressive. I cut a strip, wrap it around an undersize wire brush and scrub away. They are soft enough you can't hurt anything.

Thanks!

Walt
Worm and tow, gets into the grooves and reaches the breech where a brush don't; and its washable/reusable, can be used to start fire (brush can't), and can be used as wadding (brush can't...well, I hear some do find ways 😜 )

I have seen the error of my ways! What you all have been trying to get into my thick head is that Bore Brushes were designed for Breech Loading Firearms.

I was just wanting something that was sturdy enough to get the crud out without using up a dozen plus cotton patches.

While Tow would be much more original, I happen to have several yards of burlap. It's heavy duty and the open weave would act as a scrubber!

Goodbye brushes (except for the Breech Loaders & Breach Open Muzzies), hello burlap.

Thanks!

Walt

P.S.: A tapered jag and an oversized cleaning patch will also result in a stuck ramrod. I use Button Jags, only! I've never had that problem since.

I have seen the error of my ways! What you all have been trying to get into my thick head is that Bore Brushes were designed for Breech Loading Firearms.

I was just wanting something that was sturdy enough to get the crud out without using up a dozen plus cotton patches.

While Tow would be much more original, I happen to have several yards of burlap. It's heavy duty and the open weave would act as a scrubber!

Goodbye brushes (except for the Breech Loaders & Breach Open Muzzies), hello burlap.

Thanks!

Walt

P.S.: A tapered jag and an oversized cleaning patch will also result in a stuck ramrod. I use Button Jags, only! I've never had that problem since.
Burlap could work good, I used to use an open weave hemp canvas, a lot like burlap and made a good scrubber. But after getting some hemp tow I found it formed into to rifling much better and being wound onto a jag I could 'scrub' much easier and I could 'hang' it off the tip (with an under sized worm) to get down into the breech better then with the cloth material.
Not only "more original" but it works too!

And I fully agree about tapered jags, I ditched those after fighting a few stuck ones, button jags solved that problem.

Burlap could work good, I used to use an open weave hemp canvas, a lot like burlap and made a good scrubber. But after getting some hemp tow I found it formed into to rifling much better and being wound onto a jag I could 'scrub' much easier and I could 'hang' it off the tip (with an under sized worm) to get down into the breech better then with the cloth material.
Not only "more original" but it works too!

And I fully agree about tapered jags, I ditched those after fighting a few stuck ones, button jags solved that problem.
So would I get tow at TOW? 😁

Any other sources for Hemp or Flax Fiber?

Walt

I tried a brush once. It got stuck at the bottom. I had to use pliers to turn the rod to the right. I got it out, but it messed up my rod from the marks from the pliers. I don't think a brush i needed if you use windex, or moose milk to clean the bore. One thing is, I do use a fouling scraper each use.
Ah, Windex. If you slow The Last of The Mohicans down in the scene where Hawkeye gets the extra twenty yards with his silk patch, you'll see he reaches for his Windex to give the bore a quick clean, no brush;)! Windex, an accoutrement essential!

Pete

windex.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with those advocating traditional tools over brushes for muzzle loaders. A fouling scraper that fits your breech design will clean out fouling the cloth patches or tow misses. Flax tow is the waste material from making linen thread from flax fibers. You need a corkscrew looking tow worm for it to work. Tow - flax or hemp and burlap (jute) will leave lint in the bore.
If you don't have a proper fitting jag you can get a stuck rod with cotton patches. I use diaper flannel. Works fine when wet or lubed but if the jag isn't small enough diameter a dry patch (when used to dry a wet bore or take out excess lube) on rod will get stuck. In which case you need a rod pulling accessory (plier, chips with hole, screw in ramrod extender, etc. If your jag is too small and you loose your patch in the bore you will need a patch pulling jag for your rod. Until you find or make the right size jag, using a cloth patch over an undersize bristle brush will work in a pinch.

So would I get tow at TOW? 😁

Any other sources for Hemp or Flax Fiber?

Walt

Turkeyfoot shows in stock, nice people:

https://turkeyfootllc.com/catalog/p/hemp-tow-in-bags
I got a pound from Hemp Traders back around maybe 2015, still have a bag full and have been using it for many things including shot wads, gun cleaning, fire starting, craft projects (made little gnomes for my grandkids, etc), used some in my MM miniatures for a board game...just can't seem to use it all up!
American Hamp long fiber
$3.52 per pound

https://www.hemptraders.com/F-L2-p/f-l2.htm
(*Hemp Traders has other options too)

EBAY. I looked at the price and the amount you get and decided to think about it awhile.
Ebay used to be a decent place to shop, today it is a Scammers and Gouger's Haven. Don't waist your time (or money) there anymore. Do the footwork and seak out the sources, preferably ones with a brick and mortar store. For the record; I do do Amazon anymore either.
It takes longer to find stuff, but you stumble onto some cool stuff along the way...

Ebay used to be a decent place to shop, today it is a Scammers and Gouger's Haven. Don't waist your time (or money) there anymore. Do the footwork and seak out the sources, preferably ones with a brick and mortar store. For the record; I do do Amazon anymore either.
It takes longer to find stuff, but you stumble onto some cool stuff along the way...
I still find good bargains on ebay occasionally, but they are getting more difficult to find. I also find Amazon gougers. When I want to buy a product, I look at prices from different sources. Ebay is good at times, but I have to admit, I have been scammed.

Been shooting BP for over 40 years. Brush? Never use 'em. Jags and cotton patches are all I ever used and my bores are all shiny.

I have only got one (pistol) that needs a PB brush. The bore is bad, short and fouling really does build up and is still there after a dose of really hot water. A quick brush with the brush soaked in Muzzle Magic is all that’s needed. It comes up clean but sadly the pitting won’t go away!!
One thing I did buy a while ago from an online store was a set of cleaning brushes (PB and Nylon) jags and rods in a lovely box marketed by Remington. I have found from bitter experience that they are fine…. As long as you leave them in the box!

I used to occasionally use a nylon brush but now can't even recall the last time one was used. I found that patches cut from the green Scotch Bright pads work far better than any brush. Often the pads aren't even used; so SB pads are only used when needed and not for general cleaning.

just an add on for newbs.. breech scrapers are good if you have a standard flat breechplug, if you have a t/c gun you will need a special scaper, useing a standard scraper could plug up the recess in tha t/c plug with crud. maybe. ;)

Back