• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stripped out screw hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little late to the party but my Dad showed me a little trick long time ago if you have a stripped screw hole take a sliver or wedge of wood from a piece of scrap and and tap it in the hole and cut flush works pretty well and it's a quick fix.

I overtightened one of the screws that holds the butt plate on. What is the best way to fix this? drill out and glue in a dowl? drill a hole up from the toe plate and dowl so the screw has cross grain to grab onto? chop a mortice and glue a small block of wood and redrill a pilot hole? Fill the hole with bedding compound? I want to get this fixed before I move onto the patchbox.
I just add a drop of glue and a toothpick or two. Tightens it right up. Semper Fi.

Nothing is so simple it can't be made complex!! It's a butt plate screw stick a couple round toothpicks in the hole with a little wood glue let it dry and replace the screw! It will use original hole and be fine no danger of drilling a plug off center etc.

Dip the end of a farmer match in glue and then insert it into the hole and cut it off flush. Wait 4 hours and re-insert screw and be more careful. LOL

Push the pointed end of a (maybe just a sliver of one) flat toothpick in the hole to take up the slack and use candle wax or beeswax on the screw's threads to make it easier for the threads to cut the sliver. To keep it centered put a sliver on each side. A dab of wood glue will retain the slivers. Doesn't take much to hold a buttplate.
This same method can be also used with a wooden match stick end and some wood glue if desired to hold the stick.

i use a bit of chopstick from the Chinese take-out place ... whittle it down to the right size, put some crazy glue (cyano acrylate) in there, tap in in, wait about a cup of coffee and cut it flush.

I overtightened one of the screws that holds the butt plate on. What is the best way to fix this? drill out and glue in a dowl? drill a hole up from the toe plate and dowl so the screw has cross grain to grab onto? chop a mortice and glue a small block of wood and redrill a pilot hole? Fill the hole with bedding compound? I want to get this fixed before I move onto the patchbox.
It’s a small hole. Stick some toothpicks in the hole and break the tops off flush either to hole. Reinsert your screw into the same hole.

Thank you everyone. I am going to drill it out and use a dowl. I am building this gun for a friend and didn't want to do a fix that could fail sometime off in the future.
Remember that the screws only need to be tight enough to keep the butt plate on. They are under no load once installed, and will probably never be removed again. Pretty much any of the fixes suggested would work; what you are going to do is just fine.

If you pack random junk in the hole the screw will not likely be centered anymore. If the screw head being misaligned does not bother you, then it does not matter.

Chop sticks are bamboo. Bamboo is strong. Well done.

My previous response addressed to two different posters.

Looks like the OP cares enough to do a good job. Seems he has solved it.

I make it simple. I just roll up a 1000 dollar bill shove it in pump some elmers glue in. next day screw the plate on. did it many times

I don't see the guy with the pop corn , yet.
Popcorn Sutton.PNG

Back