• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

striping a ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if I wanted to stripe a ramrod I would wet a piece of heavy yarn with stain, lay it out diagonally on a hard flat surface, & carefully roll the rod over it. but, then again, what do I know :idunno: .

"Gunsmith of Grenville County" he says he has originals in his possession with striped ramrods. He gives instruction on how to do it.

I remember reading, many years ago, about striping a ramrod by soaking a string in a flammable liquid, wrapping it around the rod, and lighting it. My recent attempts to do this based on a fifty year old memory have been unsuccessful. When I used a string soaked in lighter fluid the string burned off before having much effect effect on the rod. When I used a heavier chord soaked in kerosene it burned too long and ignited the rod. If anyone has any information about striping a rod using this method I would I would appreciate hearing about it. (I was experimenting on cheap birch dowels, not good ramrods)

Easy way to do it is with a torch. Set the torch up straight and block it so it won't fall over. Then light it and, taking the ramrod in your hands above the flame, lower it to the flame and roll the ramrod with your fingers while moving it left to right. For best results roll with fingers of one hand and then the other to keep the rolling and the stripe smooth and even.

I used to do that to all my ramrods until I found that there was really no primary documentation of it during the 1700's, which is the period I portray. So I stopped doing it. I still think it looks good though!

I have seen a striped ram rod on a percussion rifle from about mid 1800's. I was lucky enough to examine the rifle. It was in a small private collection, belonging to an elderly gentleman. The rifle was stolen shortly after I had returned it to the owner. It was missing for a couple of years, but later recovered. That striped ram rod was the key leading to it's identification and ultimate return to the owner.

Look at it this way... your gun, do what you want. It'll be HC when we are all dead and gone. I've done it and I like the look IMO if done correctly!

Besides, Jack in The Last of The Mohicans, his ramming rod is striped so it must be HC... That just didn't sound right... :doh: :shake:

Crewdawg445 said:
Look at it this way... your gun, do what you want. It'll be HC when we are all dead and gone. I've done it and I like the look IMO if done correctly!
I like it too! I have done several of my ramrods that way. I take a long strip of cloth that is wet and evenly wrap it down the length of the ramrod, paying special attention to the spacing.

I then use a propane grill lighter and slowly burn the striping into the wood while turning the rod real slow.

Then I take 0000 steelwool and lightly go over the rod, taking any burnt soot from the wood.

It comes out pretty good! All the striping is nice and even in width, all the way down the ramrod.

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

I have often wondered about a reason why this was done (if at all) back when? I have no proof either way but do work with wood and iron in traditional manners a lot. We take for granted simple things like sandpaper in today's modern world.
Burnishing and boning wood is a way to make it smooth and also to shape it with all the tools needed right around your campfire? How many times have you slid your hand down a smooth ramrod and found one spot with the grain raised and fibers sticking out...burnishing would be a great way to make that spot smooth....and why not make a pattern on the entire rod (stripe?) to make it look better?
Just a thought....
Actually did one on a track once for something new...used the fire to scorch the rod and a handful of river sand to smooth it after...Took about 10 minutes

Back