• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stopping power of the 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My '60's hit with 500+ ft.lbs
Dragoons with 600+. 🤠 😉

Mike

Last edited:
My '60's hit with 500+ ft.lbs
Dragoons with 600+. 🤠

Mike

My ballistic calculator gives me an even 200ft lbs for a 160gr bullet making 750fps.

Please explain how you get more than a modern .45ACP, that shoots a 230gr bullet at 835 fps, making less than 400 ft lbs.

My ballistic calculator gives me an even 200ft lbs for a 160gr bullet making 750fps.

Please explain how you get more than a modern .45ACP, that shoots a 230gr bullet at 835 fps, making less than 400 ft lbs.

+p's sir. ( 45acp and 45C)

Mike

You cheated a lot, Sir. 'Centre-fire conversions' are not a subject for discussion when the rest of us are 'limited' to original loads.

It was totally meant as humor ( but factual), most folks around here know I don't shoot bp.

Mike

Stopping power of the 1860 Army...​

In this sense, John Pondoro Taylor's empirical formula has retained all its value...

TKOF multiplies bullet mass (measured in grains) by muzzle velocity (measured in feet per second) by bullet diameter (measured in inches) and then divides the product by 7,000, converting the grain value into pounds and giving a numerical value from 0 to ~150 for normal hunting cartridges. It is proportional to muzzle velocity multiplied by bullet diameter. Expressed as a fraction:

TKOF = Mass x Velocity X Diameter or TKOF = Mass x Velocity X Diameter/7000

This works perfectly for old bullets, but is of very relative value for modern calibers and ammunition...

Last edited:
DSCN3266.JPGDSCN3268.JPG

Ed Sanow's article in Feb 1998 Handguns is the best analysis of C&B revolver stopping efficiency that I am aware of. He shot into ballistic gelatin and compared stretch cavity and penetration with the Fuller Index of stopping power. The Fuller Index correlates to actual live shooting results. As the above table illustrates the round ball was more effective against humans than the conicals. Penetration was less with the round balls but stretch cavity was much greater.

Ed said, "In terms of bullet design, the .454 141gr round ball was more effective during gunfights than .45ACP hardball, .45Colt roundnose, and .44 Special round nose, even those loads generate up to 50% more energy. " He was talking about the 1860 Army.

By "stopping power" are you guys talking muzzle energy, energy upon arrival, energy dump when passing through some part of the body, the effects of light weight round noses versus heavier flat noses or what?

By "stopping power" are you guys talking muzzle energy, energy upon arrival, energy dump when passing through some part of the body, the effects of light weight round noses versus heavier flat noses or what?

Well in the referenced video, the guy was taking fps and bullet weight into account so I imagine it's more a function of muzzle energy. So, I would assume that's what the discussion is about. That's what my response was anyway.
The "muzzle energy" of an 1860 Army can be anywhere between 200ish ft.lbs to 500ish ft.lbs. depending upon the "fuel delivery" system. The 1860 Army can be quite the beast!!!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back