• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stocking inletting tools info plz

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to start on a new stock for a .36 rifle im building and i need some info on what tools u are using. Or pics with the names of the tools would be great. Im going to practice on pine for starters and then buy my maple stock and start carving. Im just maining look for tools to inlet the barrel area. Any info would help out big time. Along with pics.

KW pick up a copy of " The Gunsmith of Greenville County", will explain eveything you need and a good tool list

Practicing on pine will do you no good, it's too soft.
I send my stock and barrel to Fred Miller to have the barrel inlet. Costs about $75.
When I used to do them by hand I found a large gouge, a 1/2" and a 1" flat chisle and a 3/16" flat to be all I nneeded. For most all other inletting I use the 3/16" flat chisle. It doesn't take alot of tools to stock a gun.

Mikes correct...you just can't beat the bargain from Fred Miller. If you call Dunlap and have them send a nice piece of plain maple...about $50 directly to Fred. Then have your vendor of choice send a barrel... I'd probably choose a Colerain for your first gun..it's breeched already and reasonable...what $160? Fred will inlet the barrel PERFECTLY and drill the dreaded rr hole and channel for about $70.

You've got about $280 invested so far....and while you're waiting for Fred...(just a couple weeks normally) You can start to accumulate or make all the other stuff as you go along. Order your lock...make your RR thimbles and sideplate, etc.

Of course, as I type this..I realize that everyone should inlet a barrel in their building career. It's not that difficult if you take your time. I just hate the drama of drilling the rr hole after you've invested all those hours on the barrel!!!
geoff

I use Fred Miller also....did he have shoulder surgery and is he back to work?.....Fred

Fred...
I haven't spoken to Fred since about the middle of Sept. He didn't mention he was going to be out at that time.
geoff

Yup,[url] www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com[/url]

The best deal on the planet....buy any 3 stocks and deduct 25%

Wayne's a great guy....
geoff

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a traditions .36 barrel. I already built one stock out of pine for it for practice and it lasted untill my dog rammed into the stock and it cracked in half. Hmm im not to good at math but 70lb dog running full speed, slamming into stock is how many ft lbs? :haha:
I had a good time making it but $60 for a full maple stock is to good to pass up. And $75 for inletting is very good price i think. I'll also be ordering that book listed above in the post. That should help me out. Thanks for the help and info.

I had Fred do a couple of stocks/barrels for me around two weeks ago. He said he was scheduled to have his shouder done on Dec. 18. I didn't get into how long he thought he'd be out of action, but I would guess several weeks, at least. He does an awesome job....
Ed

Back