• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I need any more tools for shaping a stock blank?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i worked 15 minutes on cleanup today before the RamRod of this outfit made me put up shelves in an outbuilding she uses for canning.
Did anyone suggest a good vise in the tool inventory? and a tail stock from the vise to support the loose end.
having both hands free to work is paramount when using a gouge, chisel, or plane.
After many years of using (a) an ancient vise inherited from my wife's father (and now in the hands of my son and grandson), and (b) a perfectly acceptable Harber Freight vise (that I just gave away to a charity), I finally bought an Irwin "mutli-purpose" vise. Yeah, I know it's low end. But for the most part, for me, a vise is a vise. The thing is ... it rotates in two dimensions and is a good approximation of a pattern maker's vise. For my purposes, and for slightly less than $120, it's WONDERFUL. In addition to a couple of woodworker vises I have on my big table, but the "multi-purpose" vise is so ... er ... multi-purpose. Extremely versatile. Several sets of slip-on vise jaws are also a good investment.

My most substantial tool investments are on the bookshelf.
Knowledge is the most valuable tool one can have.

When it comes to actual physical tools a handful of chisels and gouges and a block full of files and a 4 in 1 rasp will take you a long way.

Changed up my chisels I want to pfeil 8mm #7 straight gouge, 8 mm single bevel chisel and a 3mm single bevel chisel. Now if only they were in stock! I believe I have everything else I would need except a scraper which should be easy to make. Thank you everyone for the replies!

I believe I have everything else I would need except a scraper which should be easy to make.
Yeah, you can make scrapers if you have the material. On the other hand, places like Grizzly or Klingspor (aka woodworkingshop.com) have scraper sets of good quality for about $20 (or often less).

Changed up my chisels I want to pfeil 8mm #7 straight gouge, 8 mm single bevel chisel and a 3mm single bevel chisel. Now if only they were in stock! I believe I have everything else I would need except a scraper which should be easy to make. Thank you everyone for the replies!

I need to get some more chisels also. But all the ones that I want to get are out of stock and have been for months.

Last edited:
Period-appropriate microwave required:

1650466596283.png

Latest posts

Back