• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

starr revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da_swed

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey im thinking of maybe buying a starr revolver,

its the dubble action one i been looking at
right now idk if i shuld get a revolver or if i

shuld get a coach percussion shotgun 20 GA that someone offerd me

can't afford em bouth lol

so whats the pro and cons whit the starr revolver ?

I don't own a Starr double action pistol so I can't speak from first hand experience.

That said,
Pro?
Unusual gun that few people own.

Rather European shaped grip. (If you like that sort of thing.)

.44 caliber.

Dixie Gunworks carries a number of replacement parts for it.

Con?
Complex lockwork.

Unknown reliability.
(Made by Pietta who is building some good Colts and Remingtons but they also make the LeMat reproduction which has had a history of problems.)

Rather European shaped grip. (Looks like it would lack the 'pointability' of a Colt style.
I could be wrong though. My broomhandle Mauser is surprisingly easy to point.)

Comment

Unusual double action that has two triggers.
The forward trigger rotates and locks the cylinder. Pulling it further causes it to bump into the rear trigger, firing the gun.

The rear trigger is used to fire the gun if the hammer is fully cocked by using the hammer spur.

I don't own one either. But I have seen several used ones for sale and have passed them up. Main reason is because they don't work in double action anymore. I hear the single action are the better choice of the two. More reliable. I guess that is why the union during the civil war went with them. Also less complicated to fix.

The problem with the Star is it fires double action only, with a LOOOONG trigger pull. If you stop pulling half way it will jam. Some one used to a single action will often stop pulling because during the long pull the pistol sites are pulled off target. The action takes getting used to to work, not a good thing for combat.

Do not think the double action can be thumb cocked for single.. flaw in design of single action-place hammer in slots between nipples for safety and pistol locks up--CANNOT cock hammer-it will not move- (very good safety!) One Must unscrew retaining bolt,break the action then hammer will move as normal. I load mine with 5 and never lower hammer between nipples. There is some design flaw in the innards of the repros. still like mine-gets lots of attention thank you for reading my rambling

You are correct and I was wrong when I said the pistol could be cocked using the hammer spur and then fired with the rear trigger like a single action pistol can.

Flayderman's Guide says the gun should be called "self cocking" rather than Double Action.

Carteret Kid said:
The problem with the Star is it fires double action only, with a LOOOONG trigger pull. If you stop pulling half way it will jam. Some one used to a single action will often stop pulling because during the long pull the pistol sites are pulled off target. The action takes getting used to to work, not a good thing for combat.
No, you can buy a single action Starr, As I posted Starr made both single and so called double action. Go to Dixie and you can buy either one. Just saying if you want a Starr get a single action repop, instead of the doubleaction in my opinion, unless you enjoy tinkering with your guns.

one thing that shuld be a pro is the break action right ? easy to clean and stuff ?

Back