• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starr - single action vs double action?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The British seemed to be bigger fans of Double Action percussion revolvers with the Tranters and Adams revolvers, etc

The idea of a DA wasn't really hugely popular here in America until the 1890s . Colt tried with the Lightning and Frontier but way more Model P's were made, and sold in that time period. Guys just liked the simpler thumb busters

If you're really in a jam, you can just "slip" the hammer if you have the skill with one hand. Or two .

Some famous gunfighters like Hardin talk about slipping hammers to crank out rounds in an Ambush, etc so it's not like you're without options if you're in a life or death struggle with
a Single Action . It's not overly healthy for your gun but you do what ya gotta do in a bushwack 🤠

Ironically the early Colt DA's didn't like hard thumb cocking and were prone to breaking springs with single action use. I used to own a bunch of Colt .38 New Armies and they were pretty fragile.

I’d carry a single action revolver for accuracy, and two Allen pepper boxes for close in defense.

The original Star revolvers are very interesting but never added one to my collection of original civil war era revolvers.
I was recently tempted to purchase a like new cased Pietta repro in single action at a local gun show with 2 extra cylinders for $550.00,
he stated that it failed to operate properly with any of the three cylinders.
After speaking with two friends at the gun show who also owned SA Star by Pietta with malfunction issues & doing an online check of customer reviews I passed.

The original Star revolvers are very interesting but never added one to my collection of original civil war era revolvers.
I was recently tempted to purchase a like new cased Pietta repro in single action at a local gun show with 2 extra cylinders for $550.00,
he stated that it failed to operate properly with any of the three cylinders.
After speaking with two friends at the gun show who also owned SA Star by Pietta with malfunction issues & doing an online check of customer reviews I passed.
My original .36 navy number 3xx will operate only if done slowly and methodically.

My original .36 navy number 3xx will operate only if done slowly and methodically.
Your .36 Colt or Remington Navy could be put back in good order by the right person.
Judging by your limited description, the fix might be simple as replacing the 'hand's' spring, the spring sits in a slot on backside of the hand & rotates the cylinder.
A repro 'Uberti' hand for your model will fit but might require minor fitting.
If you don't want to deal with the repair consider contacting forum member 45D.

Back