• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Staining walnut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A friend is working on an Investarms Hawken kit. It has a fairly light colored walnut stock. I've only worked with curly maple and aqua fortis. Any suggestions on staining the walnut would be appreciated.

A friend is working on an Investarms Hawken kit. It has a fairly light colored walnut stock. I've only worked with curly maple and aqua fortis. Any suggestions on staining the walnut would be appreciated.

It depends how dark you want it.

A lot of people use laurel mountain maple, nut grown or walnut stain , some people like the natural color and just oil it.

Personally i like laurel mountain forge nut brown on walnut.

I opted to use black spray paint to make the grain show better and then BLO.

I like Minwax Red Oak oil stain to darken my walnut stocks. Gives it a very vintage look.
Screenshot_20220724-130136_Gallery.jpg

Fiebings Med Brown leather dye on top and Birchwood Casey Rusty Walnut stain on bottom. Different species of walnut so your mileage may vary……

71528202606__71F96C75-9530-42E7-BDF8-5FF3A53D2C8D.jpeg

Then refinished and restained bottom pistol with Fiebings Med Brown leather dye. Much darker, richer brown color finished with a couple coats of Tru-oil rubbed back.

IMG_6575.jpeg

Last edited:
I probably still had some old Robt. Ditchburn's stain left for this one. I've used R. Gale Lock dark walnut stain and Chestnut Ridge military stain before on military gun stocks. Gives a reddish brown color. I like a little stain on walnut, otherwise, it looks washed out.
.32 squirrel gun 4.JPG

.32 squirrel gun 5.JPG
Ithaca Hawken.JPG

Last edited:
Fiebings Med Brown leather dye on top and Birchwood Casey Rusty Walnut stain on bottom. Different species of walnut so your mileage may vary……

View attachment 292936

Then refinished and restained bottom pistol with Fiebings Med Brown leather dye. Much darker, richer brown color finished with a couple coats of Tru-oil rubbed back.

View attachment 292942

@Compressorguy , did you find that the dye rubbed off when you oiled the stock?
I am working on a walnut burial flag case and on my test piece the dye seems to come off on my hands a bit, just curious what your experience is.

I just grab walnuts when they fall from trees cut them open and walla walnut stain. But it is dark for some peoples likings

@Compressorguy , did you find that the dye rubbed off when you oiled the stock?
I am working on a walnut burial flag case and on my test piece the dye seems to come off on my hands a bit, just curious what your experience is.
Yes, it will bleed some if just oiled. Then eventually stop. I top it with Renaissance wax, which helps. I find it does it much less if coated with Tru-oil. Either way it eventually stops.

First coats thinned with alcohol will help it sink in deeper.

Yes, it will bleed some if just oiled. Then eventually stop. I top it with Renaissance wax, which helps. I find it does it much less if coated with Tru-oil. Either way it eventually stops.

First coats thinned with alcohol will help it sink in deeper.
Thanks, your pistol refinish turned out very nice! There is a walnut gun in my future.

Back