• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Stain for Figured Black Walnut?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secesh

Ol’ Heavy 50
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never worked with Black Walnut before, only Maple and use Aquafortis on it. I have a real nice plank of Black Walnut with some nice figure I will be using for a half stock I’m putting together. For those of you who work with Walnut, what type of stain have you been most impressed with?

Walnut is rather porous. The grain needs to be filled usually with a dark filler. Depending on the wood it may need a little color. Think of the Winchester Red stocks.
Filling the grain is really important with walnut. Just finished without filling the grain with a dark filler.....
It can look rather dead and boring.

And I agree with 54ball. I've used fillers and I've also sanded the stock when applying the first coat of finish. I just wet sand with 400 grit with tung oil on it. It makes a slurry and fills the grain nicely. Let it dry and buff off gently with red scotchbrite....then apply finish as usual.

Tung oil is MUCH better.....I've got no use for tru-oil anymore. The best stuff is called circa 1850 pure tung oil.......I might have to double check that but think that's right. Very forgiving to apply and makes a beautiful finish.

FWIW I use the 'Comfortably Numb', aka Mike Brooks, idea for spraying the to be finished stock with flat black spray paint, let dry and rub it all off less that which is in the pores. Really adds POP to whatever grain lines is there or that can be SEEN afterwards! On really porous walnut, I'll wet-sand with 1 to 2 oil coats, then do the spray black treatment (if desired on that stock).

I did this stock so many years ago that I can't remember what was used on it except for linseed oil. I don't remember filling the grain either. I know the WW2 M1 stocks were just dipped in tung oil and took on that nice reddish brown tone through oxidation. I believe Chestnut Ridge makes a military rifle finish similar.
.32 squirrel gun 4.JPG
.32 squirrel gun 5.JPG
1942 M1 right.JPG

for most black walnut in a lessor value like this forearm of a .410 unmentionable i use tru-oil because i know what it will turn out to look like.
Turkish etc. walnut i use BLO. but time is plentiful for me.

Attachments

• 20230824_120852.jpg
    20230824_120852.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230824_121000.jpg
    20230824_121000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230824_121015.jpg
    20230824_121015.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Some walnut can really benefit from staining and adjusting the color. On the other hand, a really piece of walnut doesn't necessarily need staining. The coloration varies widely within the species and how it is dried. Some can be very pale and weak looking if just finished with oil.

If you choose to stain, subtle is usually best. You can use aniline dyes or you can also tint the finish with aniline dyes. I generally adjust things as I build a finish to get the color I like.

Jim

I did this stock so many years ago that I can't remember what was used on it except for linseed oil. I don't remember filling the grain either. I know the WW2 M1 stocks were just dipped in tung oil and took on that nice reddish brown tone through oxidation. I believe Chestnut Ridge makes a military rifle finish similar.View attachment 247696View attachment 247697View attachment 247698
I've used Chestnut Ridge, like it a lot, but recently read where it was DISCONTINUED! if that's true! :confused:

I’ve not done it and have had light walnut and black as coal.
I understand a red stain was common on German guns, but don’t know it as a fact. You w try some inside the barrel channel
But take some time and oil your stained spot to see if you like it before you decide

Latest posts

Back