• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrel rifle for a grand?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtothis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi again guys. Depending on weather this turnaround lasts till sunday, I may soon have about a grand to spend on a squirrel rifle. Havnt had much time to look around yet but figured you guys could give me a jump start. I want the smallest calliber I can find, but law says its gotta b under .36. I like iron furnature, a patch box, a 42 inch or longer barrel with a full stock. Anybody know where I could find something along those lines?

Does that mean it can't be a .36? TVM is a good place to shop for a rifle. :thumbsup:

Well...........since a .350" ball rolls down a [36 cal.] barrel I reckon it's really a 34 cal. so would be legal?
Macon

Check with whoever in Missouri issues these regs. But, if the barrel is marked .36 cal, I would say that it is .36 cal, not under .36 cal.

im not exactly sure. i could get away with a 36. been using a 38 and every game warden iv seen was to busy trying to figure out if this idiot was really squirrel hunting with a black powder gun or just pulling his leg to care, even though i told them it was technically .02 of an inch to large to be legal. but ima go with a 32 i think. would be cool as manure to find a 25 or 22, but i think ima go with the tvm 32. thanks guys.

now, southern rifle or late Lancaster? lol

newtothis said:
been using a 38 and every game warden iv seen was to busy trying to figure out if this idiot was really squirrel hunting with a black powder gun or just pulling his leg to care, even though i told them it was technically .02 of an inch to large to be legal.
I think you've answered your own question, rightly or wrongly. Most of us don't live in Missouri.

And.........if not marked at all and a .350" goes in then i reckon it might be ok? Anyhow I'm from Mo. and hunt small game with a .45.

Macon

Lol I'm from louisiana guys. Don't know where you came up with missouri. I like the tvm rifles, just gotta decide which version I want. Thanks guys!

newtothis said:
...just gotta decide which version I want.

And that's the hardest part! :rotf:

Let us know what you decide and show us the finished gun. It just might help the rest of us make up our minds, too! :wink:

The caliber designation can be kind of tricky with ML's due to the way we use differnt sized balls in a gun said to be of X caliber one probably needs to get something in wrioting from a Warden or State police I have a .58 caliber smoothbore and shoot .535/.550/ .562/ and .570 balls thru it as well as various shot sizes, there is no marking on the gun of any designated bore size, what "cal" is my gun? you should be safe with a .32 cal as it could not use a ball large enough to be an issue in a smaller than .36 regulation scenario. TVM is a very popular source for ML's as they use quality parts and by staying with a more generic styling keep their costs reasonable, I would go with the Souhern MT style for a small bore with iron furniture it would give you a fairly historicaly accurate post 1800 gun as well this way, which never hurts the "chat factor" or resale value of a ML rifle good luck on whatever style you choose, there would be little advantage one way or the other in a small bore, and enjoy the journey.

newtothis said:
im not exactly sure. i could get away with a 36. been using a 38 and every game warden iv seen was to busy trying to figure out if this idiot was really squirrel hunting with a black powder gun or just pulling his leg to care, even though i told them it was technically .02 of an inch to large to be legal. but ima go with a 32 i think. would be cool as manure to find a 25 or 22, but i think ima go with the tvm 32. thanks guys.

now, southern rifle or late Lancaster? lol
I have a .20 cal & a .25 cal squirrel gun.

Back