• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Couple Late Season Squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Minnesota's squirrel season ends in a couple of weeks so I decided to get out yesterday as it was a beautiful abnormally warm and sunny day for mid-February.

As usual, I was dressed in my 1700's attire with wool fall front pants, moose hide mocs, a wool pullover shirt, a canvas hunting frock, and a wool voyagers hat. Skipped a capote...too warm!

IMG_20230213_115519_1.jpg

I was carrying my "Early Virginia" smooth rifle in .62/20 ga loaded with 50 grs 2fg bp, two 1/8" lubed felt wads, an oz of #6 chilled lead shot, topped off with two overshot cards.

My morning started by busting 20 whitetails out of one of the landowner's food plots. They only ran about 75 yards into the woods, stood there looking at me...probably cursing me for disturbing their morning meal. I would see 11 more on that property and something more than 80 in the neighbors fields when I left late afternoon.

160 of the property's 800 acres was logged of much of it's mature oak and the loss of mast has affected the squirrel population. I was finding minimal squirrel sign, but it was great to be out.

About an hour into the hunt I stopped for a bit to rest and take a drink of water. After a few minutes I heard the faintest of squirrel chatter and about 40 yards away a giant fox squirrel jumped up a an oak stump and just sat upright facing away overlooking his domain. I had to get closer. I was able to cut the distance in half without spooking him.

IMG_20230213_103921.jpg

IMG_20230213_104019.jpg

I always clean my squirrels asap in the field. MAN...this big fox squirrel was a chore to skin. Big fox squirrels are always harder, but this guy was extra tough.

After cooling the carcus in some snow and bagging him, I worked my way down the south side of the ridge as the snow was clear.

IMG_20230213_120210.jpg

IMG_20230213_120235.jpg

By the time I got to the end of the ridge it was time to have a little lunch at an overlook where the remains of a picnic table still sit. Natural casing weiners and cheese.

IMG_20230213_122749.jpg

I worked back around the snow covered north side of the ridge and crossed over the dry wash at the head of a ravine to the beginning of another ridge. It was then I heard a squirrel barking and chattering a ways ahead. I finally spied him on a low branch on one side of an opening about 60 yards ahead. Rather than barge ahead through the opening which would have sent him scurrying up the tree and becoming a game of "round the rosie," I decided to circle and stalk him from the woods on the other side. My plan worked and I got within 15 yards, but he had moved into a thick bush eating its seeds. I just contently waited and in time he had his fill and moved back up onto the branch.

IMG_20230213_135412.jpg

IMG_20230213_140355.jpg

I hunted another hour and kicked out a few deer, but no more squirrels. I pushed some excellent rabbit habitat, but nothing doing.

The sun was sinking fast so I made my way down an old field road the mile back to my pickup. Seeing tons of deer in the neighbor's fields as I drove away was just icing on the cake to a perfect day.

Last edited:
Great story and pics, that's a beauty of a gun you have there. I was taught as a kid to " skin em' as soon as they hit the ground". Makes the job much easier and cools them down faster but those old fox squirrels are tough to skin no matter how you go about it. Congrats on your hunt thanks for sharing.

Great Story, Great day of field, beautiful gun, As I get older, I find myself hunting squirrels a lot and really enjoy eating them. Only think I do different is I use one of my Original English Side by sides with # 5. Where did you get the Boots? I'll be hunting Moose in Newfoundland this Sept would sure like to use some of the hide for a pair.

Where did you get the Boots?

While my boots are moose hide, they are not produced using traditional methods. They also have a very thin rubberized material applied to the very bottoms of the soles. Also have wool felt liners. Work pretty well in very cold Minnesota temps and even going up and down slick hillsides.

They are made by Steger (North Pole fame) Mukluks in Ely, MN. As with everything else, prices are now crazy. Also, no mention of them being made of moose hide anymore...just "full grain leather."

https://www.mukluks.com/QueticoTall-Maple/productinfo/Q2MA/#.Y_T7m4hMFkw

Minnesota's squirrel season ends in a couple of weeks so I decided to get out yesterday as it was a beautiful abnormally warm and sunny day for mid-February.

As usual, I was dressed in my 1700's attire with wool fall front pants, moose hide mocs, a wool pullover shirt, a canvas hunting frock, and a wool voyagers hat. Skipped a capote...too warm!

View attachment 198252

I was carrying my "Early Virginia" smooth rifle in .62/20 ga loaded with 50 grs 2fg bp, two 1/8" lubed felt wads, an oz of #6 chilled lead shot, topped off with two overshot cards.

My morning started by busting 20 whitetails out of one of the landowner's food plots. They only ran about 75 yards into the woods, stood there looking at me...probably cursing me for disturbing their morning meal. I would see 11 more on that property and something more than 80 in the neighbors fields when I left late afternoon.

160 of the property's 800 acres was logged of much of it's mature oak and the loss of mast has affected the squirrel population. I was finding minimal squirrel sign, but it was great to be out.

About an hour into the hunt I stopped for a bit to rest and take a drink of water. After a few minutes I heard the faintest of squirrel chatter and about 40 yards away a giant fox squirrel jumped up a an oak stump and just sat upright facing away overlooking his domain. I had to get closer. I was able to cut the distance in half without spooking him.

View attachment 198266

View attachment 198265

I always clean my squirrels asap in the field. MAN...this big fox squirrel was a chore to skin. Big fox squirrels are always harder, but this guy was extra tough.

After cooling the carcus in some snow and bagging him, I worked my way down the south side of the ridge as the snow was clear.

View attachment 198267
View attachment 198268

By the time I got to the end of the ridge it was time to have a little lunch at an overlook where the remains of a picnic table still sit. Natural casing weiners and cheese.

View attachment 198272

I worked back around the snow covered north side of the ridge and crossed over the dry wash at the head of a ravine to the beginning of another ridge. It was then I heard a squirrel barking and chattering a ways ahead. I finally spied him on a low branch on one side of an opening about 60 yards ahead. Rather than barge ahead through the opening which would have sent him scurrying up the tree and becoming a game of "round the rosie," I decided to circle and stalk him from the woods on the other side. My plan worked and I got within 15 yards, but he had moved into a thick bush eating its seeds. I just contently waited and in time he had his fill and moved back up onto the branch.

View attachment 198276
View attachment 198277

I hunted another hour and kicked out a few deer, but no more squirrels. I pushed some excellent rabbit habitat, but nothing doing.

The sun was sinking fast so I made my way down an old field road the mile back to my pickup. Seeing tons of deer in the neighbor's fields as I drove away was just icing on the cake to a perfect day.
Great looking outfit! Glad you were able to get out and enjoy!

That is a very fine long gun you were using, good sir. Any self respecting squirrel should be pleased to meet the cooking pan due to the result of the smoke and fire that piece belches. Just flash them a quick view of that sweet walnut stained maple stock and they will be mesmerized.
Glad you carried out a few for your efforts. Even if it had been a bust of a day for squirrels everything else about the trip was well worth the time. Thank you for sharing.

Good Job I use a 36 caliber I put together a few years ago. And it is one of the most enjoyable hunts I do all year. P.S. I had to install a Skinner Peep sight on mine in place of the buck horn. The Skinner has interchangeable apertures. I find that in the hard woods dark canopy if I remove the aperture completely and just use the threaded hole to look thru, It is great and then when I want to shoot paper or bright sunshine, I just screw it back in...

Last edited:
Good Job I use a 36 caliber I put together a few years ago. And it is one of the most enjoyable hunts I do all year. P.S. I had to install a Skinner Peep sight on mine in place of the buck horn. The Skinner has interchangeable apertures. I find that in the hard woods dark canopy if I remove the aperture completely and just use the threaded hole to look thru, I is great and then when I want to shoot paper or bright sunshine, I just screw it back in...
Indeed. In the darker hardwoods a larger peep ( or similar) is best. Especially during early morning hunts.

A peep sight has proven to be superior for this ole boy.

Darn you Spike! That was a great story. I'm currently stuck down here in FL and now I want to just go for a walk with muzzleloader in hand. Not to hunt anything but just go for a walk in the woods.

Great story! Brings back a lot of memories of past hunts. There’s nothing that compares to a walk in the woods with a flintlock.

Back