• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, my deer season has been a complete dud this year again, and prior years. We moved to an area where the deer populations on the public land within a reasonable drive from home is quite pathetic, so I’m starting to think about adding squirrel hunting to my annual routine. I definitely see more squirrel than deer, which isn’t difficult to say, given that I’ve only seen one deer this entire season (and I hunt archery through late muzzleloader seasons).

Thinking about flintlocks, I see guys talking about .32, .36, and .40 caliber rifles for squirrels. Thoughts on these three for walking or sitting in the woods and going after squirrel?

If you have a larger bore rifle for bigger game a .32 is just a joy to shoot for small game out to 30-40 yards. Many will recommend a .40 since it is allowed for deer in some areas, but if you are only hunting small game stick with the smaller caliber. For those with large stiff fingers make a loading block/board with half a dozen patched balls to help load in cold weather. .32s are cheap to shoot and fairly quiet with lighter loads. There are a lot of shots in a pound of powder when you only use 15-20 grains.

I used a 32 on rabbits long ago. I wondered why that little 32 caliber ball did so much meat damage if I didn't head shoot the bunny. A while back I chronographed my 25 gr. FFF load at 1780 fps. With that velocity no wonder it blew things up. It's always the velocity that does the meat damage, not the size of ball.

I love hunting squirrels with my .45s. Flintlock, percussion, pistol and .44 revolver. Head shots only.

I've shot 5-6 rounds with my .32 without wiping the bore. I'm not sure they are much worse than any other smaller bore rifle. I was using BP and about 12 grains of powder in a Traditions Deer Hunter. I think 12 grains is about as low as I can go and still fill the patent breech with powder.

Been squirrel hunting with 32 and 36 Cherokees and Senecas and both are excellent small game calibers. Prefer the 32 Seneca because it just feels right in my hands but hope to shoot a couple with a CVA flintlock squirrel rifle that I have recently acquired. Cant go wrong owning a small caliber gun cheap to shoot and helps keep skills sharp in the off season.

Thanks guys. So lots here recommending the .32 and .36. I have noticed fouling complaints with the .32, but not so much with other calibers.

I was also seeing a few posts about the .40 being reasonable for squirrels.

Since I already have a nice .54 for deer, this next smaller caliber would be just for squirrels and maybe rabbits—no double duty for deer.

I sure wish I had opportunities to lay hands on these other guns. There really isn’t much in black powder gun sales around me. I may have to just buy one on this forum, or order a custom build or kit. If I ordered one, I guess I’d lean towards a .36 just because it’s in the middle of these smaller calibers. But that’s with zero experience...

Dont have squirrel here.
But have you looked at your areas laws regarding permissable calibres?
What is the smallest calibre you currently have?
Do you care more about weight or less powder and shot?
To answer your questions...
Thanks for the tip about local laws. I don’t know what the regs are here for small game yet but I’ll check into that.

I only currently own .54 flintlocks (one rifles one pistol).

I don’t shoot enough to worry about using up powder. A day in the woods is more important to me than spending a few $$$ on powder, lead, etc.

Weight would likely become a factor eventually, but I guess I don’t imagine there to be much difference in weights of .32 vs .36. Maybe the .40’s would be a noticeable weight difference?

TXFlynHog, I see you are in Michigan. There are a number of black powder clubs there. If you aren't already connected to one you might check for one close by and see who has a small caliber you could handle or even shoot. There is also an area at the bottom of the forum with different regions and most of those have individual state listings. See if someone close to you might have one. I would do the same for someone here in Kansas.

To answer your questions...
Thanks for the tip about local laws. I don’t know what the regs are here for small game yet but I’ll check into that.

I only currently own .54 flintlocks (one rifles one pistol).

I don’t shoot enough to worry about using up powder. A day in the woods is more important to me than spending a few $$$ on powder, lead, etc.

Weight would likely become a factor eventually, but I guess I don’t imagine there to be much difference in weights of .32 vs .36. Maybe the .40’s would be a noticeable weight difference?

I use a .32 Crockett in cap right now. No noticeable fowling difference between that and my larger bores. In between shots in the woods I run a spit patch down then dry her out with a dry patch. I love the smaller cals. A bit heavier because of more steel in the barrel but really you get used to it. I live in n mn and walk for miles through snow and cold (real cold), so I’m loaded down with many layers, gloves, boots, bag, and flask. The weight doesn’t bother a bit. I tend to move and sit, move and sit, so perhaps that helps. I like it so much that I’m adding a .36 flint to the rotation. You’ll love any one of these three.

I like the 40 cal. It’s more then accurate enough for head shots on squirrels, and doubles up for the occasional shot on a coyote which I’ll usually try calling at first light when hunting late season squirrels.

Hunted squirrels w/ .36 with good success. I like the ability to hold on the ribs or the head. The .36 is not a meat waster. no matter what load is used. Soon as a hunter moves up to .40 , in my opinion , the lower 20 gr. fffg is best to prevent meat destruction. The heavier load used in a .40 , Ie . 50 gr. fffg , is on the edge of velocity that vaporizes tissue , causing meat destruction. I'm a good enough shot to mostly hit ribs , or head , but not always. Confession..... Using my .36 , got three squirrels one morning in the fog in a corn field. Saw a fourth one on a limb w/ his tail wrapped up close to his spine. Took a crack at him , should'a been easy shot , but all I had to show the farmer when I quit was a squirrel tail cleanly severed and 3 dead corn eaters . He had business out at his field the next morning and called me later to tell me he had conformation of the tailless grey , alive and well.

I've killed squirrels with .32 and .36. I think the .32 is the better squirrel/rabbit caliber due to less damage. I put the .32 in the same class as a .22 LR. In my experience the .36 is a head shot only caliber on squirrel sized critters. First squirrel I ever shot with a .36 was facing away from me and up a tree. Ball entered behind ribs quartering forward and really did massive damage. After that I would only do head shots which usually results in not much head left.

That said, I just got a .36 again because I like a little more versatility for medium sized stuff like coyotes. I'd have gone .40, but then I would not be able to use it during an open gun deer season unless I was also carrying a deer license.

It's all about the powder charge in my experience....a .32 moving fast does way more damage than a .40 moving slow. Squirrel range is 10-30 yards, around here anyway, so a light charge can be made to shoot accurate at those distances. I've never experienced anymore fouling from one caliber to the other.

I've owned both .32 and .36. I still have a .36 which in my opinion is easier to manage reloading and cleaning. I also found the .36 to be less finicky with loads/accuracy. As for damage, your going for head shots so it's a moot point, additionally when I hit body with either caliber, damage was indiscernible between the two calibers.

I also own a .40 which in my opinion is best as a target caliber. Very accurate, however a little big for small game , and a bit small for deer.

I use a .36 flintlock.... I know this sounds funny. But ball diameter difference was the deciding factor.. for handling! I have a hard time with .310 round balls.... .350, not as much trouble for me. YMMV
Good luck!

Back