• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone got a idea what these are going for? These are new except one was used Turkey hunting 2 times by the gun shop owner. As you can see they are in great shape!

It is unbelievable how much these have gone up in price. Not many years ago I paid around $400 each for my Armisport 1842 and 1861! That being said, from what I see now they start in the high $700's up to around $1000. If, and this is a big if, the lock work was done well, they should be worth the $600 each. Lock work done well can make these much more shootable, as they come they have a very heavy trigger pull. Lock work done improperly would leave them unsafe and needing new locks or completely rebuilt locks. Oh, and none should be .62 caliber, three should be .58 rifled and the 1842 should be a .69 smoothbore. If one is indeed a .62 something is very suspect and I would be leery of the deal.

All different, all pretty, I'd consider 'em all...

...at a favorable rate.

If you can swing it, buy all four and sell any you don't want of can't use. :thumbsup: I still haven't figured why one is a .62 bore smooth. That corresponds to nothing issued by either side during the entire war, sort of a one off. It could have happened to a worn out bore by reaming a .58 out but not probable.

Billy Goat, if you can get any of those for $600, snag it. They all look to be top quality from the pictures. They seem to have been de-farbed and at least from the view I have from here the stocks look good. The best value would be the M1855. That's the one with the patchbox. Most likely the Maynard primer is inoperable unless your friend fixed it so it would work. That's probably the most expensive of the repros. I really like the Richmond. I have one that I had custom made back in the early '80's that also has the low hump lock. I prefer the earlier high hump. It is merely a M1855 that was made by the Confederates at Harper's Ferry and Richmond with machines captured at Harper's Ferry. The M1842 is probably the next most expensive. It is also available in the rifled version with a long range sight. These are all fine looking pieces and that price is far below what I've seen them go for new. These look better than what I've seen in gun shops.

I'm puzzled about the .62 myself. Also if it's smoothbored. I'd like an altered M1816 myself. Heartbreaking story, I was in a reenactment about 30 years ago and had the opportunity to buy a really nice 16 rifled, sighted and with the Remington Maynard lock. Ready to shoot, gorgeous condition and ORIGINAL. How much you may ask? $250. I didn't have the money.

Thanks, the original owner is a long time friend of my father, they hunted in the eastern part of WV back in the 50,s I talked to him for several minutes the other day. This man has got to close to 80 years old and STILL loves muzzleloading! 50 plus years of gun smith work he has done. Good man. I plan on getting all 4 this week. Again I am not in the market to make a killing just would like these guns go to men like US who love the history and smell of black powder! :hatsoff:
Romney WV where they/we hunted, no deer to be found up north those days...50-60-70...miss the camp in Romney....Woody Patterson's farm-sherif at one time in the county.

Billy, these are the core of a substantive and beautiful collection of historic albeit reproduction* guns. Period. NO-ONE here could look at those and not just say "wow."

*Shooters all!!!

Thanks for all the information. Well I did it...I picked all 4 of these guns. I have another question? One of the .58 cal. is a smooth bore, I don't know if it is a pedersoli or Armi sport? It's the 1861 rifle. I really don't care was just wondering. I was not sure if Pedersoli made a smooth bore .58?
I know the M.1842 .69 is a Armi sport and the M.1855 Springfield with the primer door is a Armi sport and the C.S. Richmond is Pedersoli. Thanks

They are 58 s one looks as if riflings are shallow, my friend said he did lap the barrel..my bore light was about dead light not bright! Can't wait for better weather!

I believe Armisport did have a smoothbore 1861. It was a cheaper alternative for reenactors who don't fire bullets anyway, so no need for rifling.

Did they? Sounds like shallow rifling in this case anyway which would be preferable 'course.

Well, that's some set of beautiful Mexican War to CW guns. Truly. Even a cheap four-gun rack would make those a nice art piece... And now you need the bayonets of course!

Well I made a small mistake, I called the original owner and the 1861 Springfield smooth bore is a Armi-Sport. No matter I am happy with it. ;) so only three are ArmsSport and one Pedersoli.

Even new original muskets had shallow rifling, .005" at the muzzle. It got deeper as it went towards the breech where it was .015". Most of the new repros I've seen have had rifling shallower than the originals. But if the bullet is sized properly, they can still be pretty accurate. Congratulations on your buy.

What size bullet? I don't make my own "Yet" Can you still buy the minne bullet like I have seen being used.

We're talking Minie ball -- they are skirted and the skirt expands under pressure of the propelling charge to fill the barrel including biting into the rifling. Progressive Depth rifling, or smoothbore, I think you're talking about ubiquitous ".58 Minie Ball." Wonder how different (better?) patched, and just wadded, roundball will shoot from that smoothbore that I didn't know ArmiSport made... But a .58 smoothrifle is pretty nice too -- in fact some here have talked about preferring that over a .62 smoothy as their "if I could only have one-gun"!

Is that ArmiSport 1861 Springfield worth getting rifled people? I'd say so if the land diameter would be original spec, and relatively cheap to do. Ooo... Progressive Depth (for sure) and Progressive Twist rifling!?

Are you telling me that someone can cut rifling into a smoothbore?
I know the do it on new guns so they can most likely do it on these. What would something like that cost? Not that I am going to run out and have it done? :hmm:

The last time I had Bob Hoyt do a reline/rifle job it ran around $175.00 Whitacre gets $250.00.
I would assume that not having to line it would reduce the cost.

Duane

Back