• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Springfield musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, so are they worth $600 a piece? The man that had them is a long time friend and retired gunsmith / builder for years. He sold them to another dealer who I am thinking about buying them from.

Considering the fact that muskets by ArmiSport and Pedersoli as a rule cost more than that, if they're in new condition $600 is not a bad price. Other than being a bit off as far as stock dimensions, they're not junk. If your friend just happened to have done a good de-farb job on any of them, it's a real good deal. Not having seen them, I'm hesitant to say much more.

Actually,unless you're looking for a museum quality piece, you don't have to spent that kind of money for a shooter in decent shape and even if it has a bad bore a reline job in not very expensive.
True, re: the price of an original 1861 Springfield.

A repro will generally depreciate in value over time, while an original "shooter" should appreciate. If you can afford it, I personally would consider an original, but if a reproduction is what he wants, then go for it.

If I was interested in buying those guns for myself, just to shoot, $600 might not be an unreasonable price to pay.

If I was thinking of buying them at that price so I could sell them for something close to what new factory made models of the same guns are selling for, I'd forget it.

Unless they are kept in mint condition it would take 5-10 years for their selling price to increase $300 and then, there is the matter of finding a buyer who wants them.

Agree. The muzzle loading community is doing nothing but "getting smaller" - in 20 or 30 years our kids and grand kids may have a tough time "giving away" muzzle loaders, much less selling them at even a fraction of what they are going for today.

If you had three other buyers lined up with money in hand you might have a deal there.

Otherwise, take that 2400 bucks and get one very sweet gun.

Unless another mountain man movie comes out and re-sparks a "craze" it's unlikely that you will ever get your money back on anything you buy unless it's an original by a highly sought after builder.

Even the KRA has been noting that originals are not bringing what they used to, what they are estimated to be worth. The pool of people who want these is getting ever smaller.

Buy one of each type, I think you said, instead of all four. The Pedersolis if possible.

Thanks, I will post pictures of all 4 guns this week...they are new except one he used a couple of times. The original owner is about 80 years old been gunsmith for most of his life and a friend. We talked for about 30/35 minutes today. He told me all about these guns, and we talked flinders for a while. His last flinter he built sold for $6,000.00 so he does good work to say the least. He told me I need to make the trip to friendship because if you like muzzleloaders that I would really enjoy the trip. Good man. I don't want to keep all these guns just wanted to see if others wanted one for a good price? I am not into original guns all that much just love the history and shooting any type of black powder guns. I could spend everyday at the range or woods shooting or hunting with all types of muzzleloaders. :yakyak: sorry I am long winded.

This man told he both guns were built at the very same factory but stamped with different names on them. So for all to know both guns are the same except for the stamp. Made in Italy, all reproduction are made.

I thought there were two of each type of gun so was suggesting you buy the better one of each. Not so sure about the same factory origin though...

Assuming they are military types, the smoothbores
are .69 cal. If an Armi is one of them it's probably an 1842 Springfield as I believe that's the only Civil War smoothbore they made. It's considered to be one of the best buys in the repro market. A Pedersoli could be a percussion 1816.

Duane

Thanks, I will get pictures and correct cal. Soon. Today everyone at my house has a stomach flue today :(

.62 & .69 smooth bore and two .58 rifled above. Triggers work done and barrels lapped and brand names polished off.

Holy Swizzlestix, Batman...those are nice. Just wish somebody would work up a Maynard priming door cover to replicate the Remington conversions of the M.1816's to sighted .69 caliber rifle muskets. yeah, I know, there's always that one!

Latest posts

Back