• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring garden

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my Onions and Potatoes planted today, herbs too.

IM6wS2Z.jpg

xtEpYF7.jpg

You've got my attention...My 8 year + old rosemary plant died this winter....I blame the wife... :haha:

It was over 2 feet tall and shaped like a Christmas tree...

It was a good house plant....All you had to do was bump it and it filled the house with the aroma of rosemary......R.I.P...Jan....Yes!...It had a name... :(

Well I got the fertilizer all tilled in and the wife says "I don't want to plant the main garden this summer. :doh: Oh great! I'll have the healthiest weeds for miles around!

So I am messing around with cover crops this year, as you can imagine.

This is a mix of red clover and buckwheat on the main garden.

The berries (goose, black, & currents)are doing well.

Gooseberries are heavy on the bush already (though not nearly ripe)

Apart from that, my only real garden is in the easement. There are 3 plots of corn (on the left in the photo) , each planted 10 days apart. It is just corn down the center of the plots about 30 stocks in each plot, 3 rows down the center 1/3 with different cover crops growing on either side. The farthest has Rye on the sides, the next has buckwheat, then the closest and newly planted this morning has red clover & buckwheat on either side of the corn.

The Raised boxes are zucchini, okra, beans, onions & tomatoes.

Lastly I am growing Potatoes & Garlic in tubs together, just as a thing to try.

Not much this spring, but if I feel froggy I can till some rows in the main garden end of July and plant a fall garden :wink:

Sean, You'll have to turn that buckwheat over before it goes to seed or it will self seed and you'll have it growing next year...

I like wheat or barley as a cover crop. it's cheap. it's easy to kill, or harvest and I can feed to my rabbits. It also suppresses the weeds nice.

I also started flame weeding this year....I think I like it.

I did hear that about the buckwheat, but my thought was to winter the chickens in the garden. I thought the rye & buckwheat would mostly end up as eggs :)

I'm sure they will miss some seeds, but 4 chickens with a whole winter to peck & scratch, I was thinking they would control it enough to keep it in hand.

BUT I have Zero experience with buckwheat.

:hmm: You think I'm making a mistake?

Potted my peppers this morning and some veg, seeded a couple trays with Dill and Basil for indoor grow. Suns out again off and on so its warmer. Was +4c last night, still wont plant my peppers and tomato's till Im sure, maybe the end of this month.
Onions have come up in the rows, happy with that, guess the couple days of rain we had did some good.

QhYo1GQ.jpg

OqpOYfM.jpg

78AJX3g.jpg

7cviCNI.jpg

We had the crappy luck to have our house burn down. We built a new house on another part of the property and the soil is manure for growing stuff. So I promise Mrs, that I will bring a load of manure from our manure pile. She says No, the manure from our manure pile is not fit for growing manure. But the manure from the horse farm manure pile is much better fit for growing manure. So I walk to the barn and have to go through manure to jump start the tractor. I take the tractor to the horse farm and they gladly give me a load of manure, that I take back and put into the garden so we can grow manure. As soon as I get beck from the doctor because I feel like manure, I will rototill the manure from the horse farm manure pile into the soil. Oh the manure I go through for my wife.

The red clover cover crop is filling in as you can see from last weeks photo and. . . .

8 days later :grin:

Last weeks corn plots & raised beds

8 days later :grin: with the 4th (and last) corn plot planted.

Calendar said I need to start my cabbage seeds for my fall garden already :shocked2: Started some of the 110 day variety a week ago, have 9 sprouted and growing, just started an 85-95 day variety today, another 9 then mid month I'll start the 65-75 day early cabbage and get the ones that are sprouted now into the ground.

The Squash bugs showed up this week :( One yellow zucchini plant hit real hard, I hope I can control them this year, my pumpkin plant is massive!

No rain and high heat is stressing everything, going to get to right at 100 every day this week with a dry wind each afternoon.

Got a Brookred Plum Tree this weekend, planted this morning.
Rest of the garden doing ok, well the left side, the right side very little is growing, soil very differant for some reason, even the potatoes not doing well.

m3xXMZz.jpg

2UGaz19.jpg

tfwiUym.jpg

Latest posts

Back