• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Splitting axe help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadDownRange

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if a boys axe with wedges welded on the bit would be able to split wood thanks for any help

Depends a lot on the wood. With our stringy Sitka spruce, not a chance. A bud welded a wedge to the face of his sledge hammer to make a "super" splitting maul. Buried it in the spruce slickern snot. On a boy's axe? Back to it depending on your wood.

It is not for me my cousin wants an axe to split wood with and he is under 100 lbs so he can't handle an axe much larger than a boys axe the wood would be wild cherry sugar maple elm oak walnut and probably several other hard woods

What's a "Boy's axe"?
It's all about energy and control, because splitting wood is still a kind of a dangerous thing to do.
Energy equals mass times acceleration.
My best splitting tool is a 12-16# splitting mall.
With the heavy head I don't need to get it moving as fast,, I can still control the axe/mall head with it's swing, instead of swinging real hard and fast to make the split.
A wayward axe or mall has in the past and continues to be a tool that removes toes, feet, fingers and hands and can generally make a mess of limbs and appendages real quick.

It's best to get a tool that's made for the job, we haven't developed Hatchets, Axes and Splitting Malls through history because splitting wood is a new thing.

I don't use a mall I use a 100 year Michigan pattern axe that was forged in Pittsburg or Youngstown and it works better than any mall I've used and as I said before he is small boy he will be 13 soon but he has a small build so he can't use a large axe/mall also a boys axe is a small axe around 1 1/4 lbs with a 28in handle

Yeah those all are out of my price range if this idea would work I can find a old boys axe at a flea market and I have the wedges

I would say he shouldn't have a lot of trouble with the majority of woods using the axe you are referring to, (at rondies, I use an old hatched with an long handle, and I don't seem to have much trouble) However certain woods such as a lot of varieties of elm can be awful stringy, and a complete pain to split even with an over sized maul like the one I use at home.

Thanks I wasn't for sure I doubt they will split elm they only had a couple on their property I'm going to get it for his Christmas present

LeadDownRange said:
I don't use a mall I use a 100 year Michigan pattern axe that was forged in Pittsburg or Youngstown and it works better than any mall I've used and as I said before he is small boy he will be 13 soon but he has a small build so he can't use a large axe/mall also a boys axe is a small axe around 1 1/4 lbs with a 28in handle

I am usually in favor of teaching young people to do different kinds of work. But and axe in the hands of someone not ready to handle one is asking for a terrible injury.

Yes, my son had rifles in his hands(7) long before he split wood with an Axe.
I mean he was making little camp fire pieces sitting next to the fire with a Hatchet/Tomahawk, but that over shoulder full swing aka "Wood Splitting" thing didn't happen till he was 11-12 at least.
I'm in Minn, a good 20yrs of my life was spent feeding a wood stove for winter heat, I got a we-bit-o practice splittin wood.
It's that sideways glancing blow that causes trouble, you need a good wrist and proper feel and balance to the tool,
welding extra manure to an otherwise good blade is a poor idea.

I certainly wouldn't advise trying to modify an axe in the fashion you describe. If are intending to split smaller diameter wood then an axe will be adequate, but if it is larger sectioned then you would be better using either a splitting mall or wedges and a sledge hammer. What ever, you will learn by experience. I am new to this forum so I hope I'm ok in saying this if you go on to youtube and type in Richard Lane Rural English Craftsman that is a video of me at work where I am talking about axes and demonstrating the use of a mall. I hope this helps. Would like to say what a fantastic forum this is.

Sound like most of us agree :) Full size axe or maul.

The first home I bought (at 20) was heated with wood, I cut & split for 8 years ... IMO if he can't split 18" logs with a standard axe or maul, change the logs size, not the axe size. I remember starting my son at eleven (I think) with rounds cut down to 6" high at first. I let him make chunks until he had a swing, then I cut the logs 12" and he split them well.

The problem is not his age or the size of logs it is that he is small so he can't handle a full sized axe safely and I won't be doing the welding I'm going to have professionals do it than i was going to run it through a lot of trials to make sure it is safe I just was not sure if it would work I read about it online at forum about using axes but I felt it better to ask and get some other people's opinions first

I'm kind of curios your age is listed at 16 and you have a son whose 13 how oldsnhis mother? Started kind of young didn't you? My suggestion is full size axe and about 40 cords of wood to practice on under supervision it will do wonders for his control

Rev_William said:
I'm kind of curios your age is listed at 16 and you have a son whose 13 how oldsnhis mother? Started kind of young didn't you? My suggestion is full size axe and about 40 cords of wood to practice on under supervision it will do wonders for his control

It is for his cousin. What you are suggesting only happens in Alabama. :shocked2:
That part about welding onto an axe blade sounds like bad business to me also. Sure could (would?) ruin temper, I believe.

Sean has a good point. Cut the wood smaller until he is bigger/has better control. Welding wedges onto the blade sounds like a way to ruin a good axe. There are hatchet sized splitting mauls out there that are already designed for the purpose.

I did not know about those small mauls I'll check into those I did wonder about what would happen to the temper if wedges would have been welded on
I am wondering where you got the idea I had a kid though

Back