• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Card Splitting or Ball Splitting Handicaps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any way to score a card splitting or ball splitting on a axe match with regards to caliber? For example, is there a logical or numerical way to reward a 32 caliber over a 75 caliber to equalize the score? It's a whole lot easier to split a card or ball with a big ball than it is with a little one.

The one in the hat band is a causality from Friendship a couple years ago..

877FA445-7047-448D-9830-C55B2C8F68B5.jpeg

I’ve never known of any shoot using a handicap system in a card cut or axe bit shoot..

It’s not always the one with the biggest balls win….🥴
My shooting Buddy plays hell on match sticks,cards, golf tees & life savers with his .40 cal.

Last edited:
The challenge to accurately manage the concussion and recoil, provided by the big calibers, seems to about level the playing field.
After shooting a 58 Colonial all day, a SMR .40 with a set trigger, almost feels like cheating. Hahaha

We shoot at the center of a blank paper-plate at the start of every match as a tiebreaker. Then any time 2 people tie, they pull out their paper plates and see who really won.

My club runs trail walks and has never provided a handicap for caliber, but if you want to make folks feel caliber equitable, I would suggest having different distances for a range of calibers.

Every woods walk event I have ever shot always included a tie breaker target. Now I will say last fall I shot the woods walk at Friendship during the nationals and their card break target set up was fixed, because of the high humidity all of the cards were warped, so they were literally impossible to make a clean cut with my 45 flint

I'm going to shoot a .58 Musketoon at my next Turkey Shoot because the closest edge of the bullet hole to the bullseye is the winner....so massive bullet holes give you an advantage

Then next time some guy will probably show up with an 8 Bore rifle

Latest posts

Back