• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How tight??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A question for those of you owning rifles that use a wedge to retain the barrel - How tight is tight enough? I remember reading many years ago that these slender, thin-walled forends will crack/split if the wedge is installed too tight, especially with heavy loads. I have always adjusted the fit to allow me to push the wedge in fully only with my thumb. I also capture the wedge so it won't fall out in the woods, been there, done that. What do you guys do?

A question for those of you owning rifles that use a wedge to retain the barrel - How tight is tight enough? I remember reading many years ago that these slender, thin-walled forends will crack/split if the wedge is installed too tight, especially with heavy loads. I have always adjusted the fit to allow me to push the wedge in fully only with my thumb. I also capture the wedge so it won't fall out in the woods, been there, done that. What do you guys do?
I am with Phil. I would add the following: Make the wedge tight enough so it won't fall out if you turn the rifle on it's side and smack the stock firm, but not hard, to check snugness. Then, put a capture pin in. This is my opinion.
Larry

Keep in mind humidity can cause wood swell/shrink and cause the wedge fit to tighten and loosen .

Some of mine are finger tight but on a couple I need a light tap of a screwdriver. I'll have to pay attention on my 54's. I like stout loads.

Interested in a picture of a well done "capture pin". I have not seen this, but it sounds like a longer wedge with a hole in the end for a keeper pin or loop ? Good idea for hunting that I have not seen discussed. I have done a lot of shooting and some successful hunting with 4 different Hawken style rifles in this, my 1st full year of ML, and have not had any wedges back out. But this still seems wise. Just not sure how it is done. Thanks. SW

When installing a wedge for a capture pin, the wedge will have a slot for the capture pin to pass through. The pin can be placed under the escutcheon surrounding the wedge or in the barrel channel. The slot in the wedge may have to be lengthened for the wedge to clear the slot in the under lug on the barrel or fully extend through then stock.

Interested in a picture of a well done "capture pin". I have not seen this, but it sounds like a longer wedge with a hole in the end for a keeper pin or loop ? Good idea for hunting that I have not seen discussed. I have done a lot of shooting and some successful hunting with 4 different Hawken style rifles in this, my 1st full year of ML, and have not had any wedges back out. But this still seems wise. Just not sure how it is done. Thanks. SW

Attachments

• 94140-1631637164798.jpeg
    94140-1631637164798.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 0
@centershot did a nice job of capturing the pin under the escutcheon.

This is the wedge capture for my CVA Mountain Pistol. I ran the pin in the stock because I didn't trust the tiny screw holding the escutcheon in place.

1710176656557.jpeg

You can see that the tip of the wedge is not in the barrel channel and the top of the pin is flush with the wood in the barrel channel. It can be a problem to remove the pin to remove the wedge, but I am not intending to remove the wedge anytime soon.

FYI:

Tang Adjustment - Lyman Products has a SUPER video on YouTube showing how to adjust the tang screws for the proper engagement of the wedge pin! This is the BEST INFO I've ever seen.

Bending a Wedge Pin - This printed info, also from Lyman (when they sold their Great Plains Rifles and others) is good too - if needed - but my guess is that it is 'earlier info' (pre-YouTune), as note it does not mention the tang screws as the video does. See attachments, their full guide, plus that just of the wedges.

Lyman  - Fitting Wedge Pins.jpg

Attachments

• Lyman - Fitting Wedge Pins.pdf
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Lyman BP MZL Guide.pdf
    526.7 KB · Views: 0
Firm is as Firm does; You're on the right path.

Back