• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spanish Moss for wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd411111

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've read a few articles and it was mentioned here that Spanish Moss was a form of wadding sometimes used in the South. Got a TVM Fowler coming and thought I'd like to give it a try. What I don't know is,is it as simple as snatching some off a tree and packing it over the powder or is there some process as drying it or rolling it in a ball,etc.? Also,was it used with shot too or just ball?

Dunno, don't use it.

But when the discussions were going around hot and heavy about it pretty sure the questions you asked were answered, and then some.

I though about that on my last trip to FL.

Historically wadding was anything that worked, news paper, fur, tow, cork, felt etc.

From the few descriptions and the x-ray in Hamilton's book, it looks like enough wadding was poked down the barrel so when tamped down, it was about the same thickness as the powder and ball.

I was also told to be careful when gathering large quantities of moss, because small critter like to hide in it.

Try it an let us know what you think.

What with the talk of Spanish Moss and chiggers I did a bit of searching on the web.

It turns out that chiggers during their first stage of being a larvae love to climb up things and lay in wait for some warm blooded thing to pass by.

When such a host bumps into or rubs against whatever they climbed, they attach themselves to it and go to work, sucking blood.

Anyway, the operative thing here seems to be, if the moss is contacting the ground, chiggers are likely. If it is hanging freely above the ground it stands a good chance of being chigger free.

Spanish moss laying on the ground often is infested and spiders like it hanging freely or on the ground.

It also supposedly makes good tinder for starting fires so if you folks use it as wadding, don't set the place on fire.

Microwaving just might be a good idea. When my gun comes in I'll try it and post how it's working out.

Zonie brings up a good point. Fire. At one time I shot with a group in the Black Hills. We would have 15 or 20 shooters each shoot. It was normal to call cease fire and go put out fires on the range. At least 4 or 5 fires each shoot. If you are in a dry area, it really is no joke.

Also watch out for the snakes hanging out in the overhead branches--this is no joke! If you are from Louisiana you all ready know this.

That is why I use slightly oversize leather over powder wads and lubed felt under the shot column. I then just use a regular card wad to cap the whole thing off. Works the same with RB too. Never had a fire from that combo and it really seals the bore.

Have fun!

My dad used green Spanish moss in his ML shotguns for dove and turkey. He used to say "it won't set the woods on fire."

Back