• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just call me “dry ball”

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lord knows I have earned it. Sunday was a week ago I dry balled my Green Mountain barreled T/C Hawken. No excuse, was all by myself on the range, no distractions, just did it. I removed the nipple and packed as much 4f under it as would go. Reinstalled the nipple, aimed at the side berm, CCI Magnum cap. Boom! Ball into the berm.

Yesterday at our Club’s Woods Walk, I dry balled my smooth bore Trade Gun TWICE. This month I decided to try something new, a Durafelt lubed wad under a naked .625 ball (my bore measures .630) topped with a thin card to hold it all in. The first few target went well, and when I did my part I was hitting things. Then on the Ram I thought something was up when I went to pick the touch hole and could not feel any powder. Sure enough, dry ball. I dribbled some 4f at the touch hole and tapped the side to settle things, primed and fired at the Ram. Whoosh, TINK. I actually hit the it! Then two targets latter, same dang thing! I dribbled the 4f, etc. Took aim on the Bear, whoosh TINK! I had the guys rolling on the ground laughing. Well, not rolling but there was much laughing and peopling coming from down the line wondering what was going on (The TINK was heard all around).

So, why am I using 80 grains of 2-3f when a grain or two of 4f will hit the targets?

Lord knows I have earned it. Sunday was a week ago I dry balled my Green Mountain barreled T/C Hawken. No excuse, was all by myself on the range, no distractions, just did it. I removed the nipple and packed as much 4f under it as would go. Reinstalled the nipple, aimed at the side berm, CCI Magnum cap. Boom! Ball into the berm.

Yesterday at our Club’s Woods Walk, I dry balled my smooth bore Trade Gun TWICE. This month I decided to try something new, a Durafelt lubed wad under a naked .625 ball (my bore measures .630) topped with a thin card to hold it all in. The first few target went well, and when I did my part I was hitting things. Then on the Ram I thought something was up when I went to pick the touch hole and could not feel any powder. Sure enough, dry ball. I dribbled some 4f at the touch hole and tapped the side to settle things, primed and fired at the Ram. Whoosh, TINK. I actually hit the it! Then two targets latter, same dang thing! I dribbled the 4f, etc. Took aim on the Bear, whoosh TINK! I had the guys rolling on the ground laughing. Well, not rolling but there was much laughing and peopling coming from down the line wondering what was going on (The TINK was heard all around).

So, why am I using 80 grains of 2-3f when a grain or two of 4f will hit the targets?
If you're a muzzleloader shooter, it's gonna happen to you, sooner or later. We are all human. Just yesterday I was shooting at my backyard range with a friend new2bp & & was fixing to load my inline & I had just stated to my friend that it was bad practice to talk to or be in a convo with someone while you're in your loading process, to " not do it " and then I proceeded to put my sabot in the bore & start pushing it down the barrel......... when it hit me........Great job at being a poster child for what NOT to do for my friend.

Couple weeks ago I pulled a dry ball. While every one was enjoying my mistake another shooter dry balled his load. What goes around comes around.

A guy at the range a few days ago told me his mountain name was 2 Balls because he’s seated a ball on top of a ball twice due to conversations that distracted him. Then he asked what my Mountain Name was? Dry Ball! Lol. It happens and after reading the above stories, I’m happy to learn it’s not just me.

I've just started muzzel loading and dry balled on second visit to Range with it, did the nipple out powder in flashole trick all good, I have now marked my range rod at the diffrernt loading stages from empty, to powder and wad, and patch and ball, 3 positions so in my case if I forget where I am I can drop the rod in and see what stage I am at, works for me.

I've just started muzzel loading and dry balled on second visit to Range with it, did the nipple out powder in flashole trick all good, I have now marked my range rod at the diffrernt loading stages from empty, to powder and wad, and patch and ball, 3 positions so in my case if I forget where I am I can drop the rod in and see what stage I am at, works for me.

@Timber Wolf

We have all done at least once or maybe a dozen times. If someone says they have not well........either they are a 'newbie' or a liar or both. It happens. However good on you for thinking quickly and dribbling powder to save the day, instead of the torturous task of pulling the ball.

Trade Guns; gotta love 'em!

Back