• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southerton

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacRob46

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone on the forum ever hear of a gunmaker named Pappy Southerton? He supposedly made some good quality Hawkens during the last century.

Gee...I guess not. Did not really expect anyone to know the guy, who probably does not exist. I cannot find a thing on him.

After reading your topic I too tried to find something for you my friend. Unfortunately came up with nothing as well? I even searched TOW,s archives. They’ve sold many contemporary built Hawken Rifle’s through the years. Unfortunately nothing there as well?

Hopefully others will chime in if they happen to run across the name for you. Anyway, do you have a Hawken built by him?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cowboy...

Thanks for the reply. I did the same, looking at TOWs archive since they sell so many guns made by so many people. Came up with a big goose egg. Looked at other stuff too - nothing.

What brought this up was a Facebook post picturing the remains of what is obviously a late flint period Pennsylvania rifle butt stock. These remains were found in E. Oregon in the desert. There is a very ornate patchbox attached along with the butt plate and trigger guard. The set triggers are still in tact. The stock is roached, of course, but the architecture is plainly Pennsylvania.

Any way, some guy responded that it was a Hawken saying he could tell by the trigger guard. Well, the trigger guard looks more like a Thompson Center guard than one made by Sam and/or Jake. I challenged him on it and he told me I did not know what I was talking about. Then the name of the mysterious Pappy Southerton came up because this fellow claims to have two guns made by him which are perfect replicas of the original Hawken plains rifles, based on the trigger guards. When I challenged him to post a photo of his PS guns so we could all see what he was talking about he declined, saying he didn't want anyone to break in and steal them. I expected that reply, frankly, so was not surprised. People with no proof of their ideas are like that!

Any way, I spent more time looking at it than I needed to and sorry to have wasted your time as well. However, having had the opportunity to view and in some cases carefully examine close to 100 original Hawkens over the years, I think I can recognize the stock architecture and other characteristics when I see one.

Thanks again...Mac

Maybe an H.E. Dimick plains rifle? I only say this because of the style of trigger guard that you mentioned looking sort of like a TC Hawken guard. Of course I’m by no means an expert but do know a little bit about the different types and their characteristics. I’d definitely not even try to guess without seeing anything! Who knows?

From what you mentioned, he already seems to have his mind made up on what it is? I’d also suspect there’s no changing it either.

Respectfully, Cowboy

The rifle in question is not a Dimmick, and I do not think it is a trade rifle either. It is just one of those PA rifles which wound up heading west at some point and was broken, lost or stolen and wound up in an arid part of the country, which managed to preserve enough to be interesting but not enough to be readily identifiable.

Back