• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Frankenstein TC project is complete

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Received my 45 caliber Cherokee barrel back from Mr Bobby Hoyt a couple a days ago.
Put on the tortured Senaca stock I almost made firewood out of last year and put on the shooting bench yesterday
The now converted 32 caliber barrel is a tack drive. Especially since I am cheating and using a vintage TC Lobo scope.
Parts on this monster came from several forum members over the last year.
Everything from Hawkens to Cherokee components. I know she ain't pretty,but damn if she ain't a shooter !

Attachments

• PXL_20240323_211407003.jpg
    PXL_20240323_211407003.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
Received my 45 caliber Cherokee barrel back from Mr Bobby Hoyt a couple a days ago.
Put on the tortured Senaca stock I almost made firewood out of last year and put on the shooting bench yesterday
The now converted 32 caliber barrel is a tack drive. Especially since I am cheating and using a vintage TC Lobo scope.
Everything from Hawkens to Cherokee components. I know she ain't pretty,but damn if she ain't a shooter !
I think it’s beautiful. I hate to see anything that can be salvaged and restored thrown away. I am working on an old Miroku .45 caliber Kentucky. Is it worth much? Probably not but the bore looks brand new and it deserves to have a chance at the range. Worst case it can be a nice wall hanger gift plus I’m learning how to work on these things.

That looks awesome! Except for the scope of course🤭

That’s my kind of gun. Are you gonna keep it or sell it?

You did a good job on that rifle, Bud. I really like the dark finish on the wood and metal. What wood finish did you use, and how did you treat the brass?

The late Doc White wrote an article about original Hawken rifles some years ago, and if I remember correctly he said a lot of their plain mountain rifles were finished with a very dark varnish, that looked almost black. The very dark areas on the stocks of surviving originals don’t represent accumulated grime, as many assume, but these are actually places where the original finish remains.

You have a very nice looking rifle there, my friend, and it sounds like a shooter. Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
You did a good job on that rifle, Bud. I really like the dark finish on the wood and metal. What wood finish did you use, one how did you treat the brass?

The late Doc White wrote an article about original Hawken rifles some years ago, and if I remember correctly he said a lot of their plain mountain rifles were finished with a very dark varnish, that looked almost black. The very dark areas on the stocks of surviving originals don’t represent accumulated grime, as many assume, but these are actually places where the original finish remains.

You have a very nice looking rifle there, my friend, and it sounds like a shooter. Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob
I used minwax Jacobsen stain to hide the repairs on the stock, and vinegar to modify the brass finish. Thanks for the comment.

i like that

Back