• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern mountain rifle - correct furniture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure most of you will remember the manufacturer of this Southern Mountain flintlock. I bought it personally new in the late 80's from Ted Hatfield, St. Josephs, Missouri. There were 3 demonstrator rifles on the firing line. Two were earlier Hatfields and the third was a Pedersoli bbl. rifle with a select Hatfield stock and double set triggers. All 50 cal. I shot all 3 and was astounded by the repeated accuracy of the latter with a 70 gr. load! 100yds all in the black. The earlier ones could not come close. Obviously the Pedersoli bbl. was a select special accurate test bbl. Magnificent stock. I fell in love with the graceful lines. I offered to buy it with a replacement inner coned insert that was a new option at that time. This option required a Lock/bbl. modification. 3 weeks later I received it at home in Texas. I have no idea how many rounds went through it on the Hatfield firing line...but I put well over 150 rounds since and the incredible accuracy continued. Yes, I could compete with shooting against modern open sight rifles at 100 yds. using a rest. Years ago I contemplated selling it but to this date cannot depart with it. My over 80 year old eyes may change my mind someday.

View attachment 221234
What is the correct way for the front sight to be installed? I see guns with the front sight installed both ways

Since “Iron” Hatfields are on the rare side I thought I’d share two, One in .36 the other .50

Attachments

• 0F5B364A-34FD-435C-AC1B-8C0C06610665.jpeg
    0F5B364A-34FD-435C-AC1B-8C0C06610665.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 8D9A3E5E-9E65-4B6B-8B60-D01FB18CD1FE.jpeg
    8D9A3E5E-9E65-4B6B-8B60-D01FB18CD1FE.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Back