• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sounds like a scam, please advise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are no buyer protections if you select the "friends and family" option. If you send money that way and it turns out to be a scam, they won't do anything about it.
Yes and if you bought something they don't like they will freeze your account if you have any money in it prolly ban you as well. Linking your account to a cc may help- dunno.

There are no buyer protections if you select the "friends and family" option. If you send money that way and it turns out to be a scam, they won't do anything about it.
Agreed. The point is supposed to be that you are sending money to either “friends” or “family” ie, people you actually know and probably trust. The only protection you can get from PayPal is if you do the route where there is a percentage fee involved, and even then, if firearms-related stuff is involved, they will probably just confiscate your account. And before someone says “USPS” money order, that is basically like cash, and other than potentially finding out where it was deposited/cashed, there isn’t a lot of useful options there, either. Just my two cents. I have used PP F&F, personal check, USPS MO, and even Zelle (once, and I did a lot of checking beforehand) on here. It all comes down to the quality of the people you are dealing with. In my experience, they have been good, honest people (and I hope they would say the same about me), but I know others have been scammed by people they thought were legit (and some were hacked accounts of people, who the real persons were very upstanding, but the hackers, not so much). Good luck out there!

I know that. However, that is the way we are going from here on in due to the tax on the small time sellers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Time and again I see posts recommending to go to NMLRA shots to buy powder and caps. You must be an NMLRA member to do so. I used to set up at shoots with powder and caps but the legality of it makes it undoable for sutlers. Even if you have a portable powder magazine it can be tough. Now throw in the cost of caps and powder it is not going to happen. I know it was nice to get your supplies at shoots but unless you know each other it is not going to happen anymore. And by the way I hate recommending buying stuff online but unless you are a MEMBER of an NMLRA club it is becoming your only choice. If you see any cheap powder or caps it is a scam

Time and again I see posts recommending to go to NMLRA shots to buy powder and caps. You must be an NMLRA member to do so. I used to set up at shoots with powder and caps but the legality of it makes it undoable for sutlers. Even if you have a portable powder magazine it can be tough. Now throw in the cost of caps and powder it is not going to happen. I know it was nice to get your supplies at shoots but unless you know each other it is not going to happen anymore. And by the way I hate recommending buying stuff online but unless you are a MEMBER of an NMLRA club it is becoming your only choice. If you see any cheap powder or caps it is a scam
I have to differ on the NMLRA being the only place to get powder & caps. Walmart is usually a good source and theere are many legit websites that carry them. And at a lot of rendezvous there are legit vendors that sell this kind of stuff. I do agree in this time of strife it is getting tougher, but research is always the answer.

I finally got my Kodiak Safari Express 72 caliber double barrel rifle!
I am very excited and happy, except...
I am having a heck of a Time finding number 11 primer caps. Brick and mortar is out, so my only option is online. The sites that I do find them on want me to use zelle, which I dont have, or paypal, but only with "friends and family" selected, which of course means I am screwed if they are scammers because there is no buyer protection. Sites with other payment options are all out of stock.
They explain that PayPal will not allow Munitions to be sold, so that is the compromise. It does not make sense, but someone here has more experience than I do and might know if this
is standard practice. It seems to be a common theme on a variety of sites that sell Pyrodex and percussion caps. Any experience would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Once you find a true source, try to 'stock up'! I think things are easing up from the few comments I've read here, though.

I have to differ on the NMLRA being the only place to get powder & caps. Walmart is usually a good source and theere are many legit websites that carry them. And at a lot of rendezvous there are legit vendors that sell this kind of stuff. I do agree in this time of strife it is getting tougher, but research is always the answer.
I live near big city Walmarts, and unless you visit one way out in the more rural 'boonies', they don't carry any such stuff. No gun counter, maybe just common shotshells and such, but no BP supplies at all.

I am having a heck of a Time finding number 11 primer caps. Brick and mortar is out, so my only option is online. The sites that I do find them on want me to use zelle, which I dont have, or paypal, but only with "friends and family" selected, which of course means I am screwed if they are scammers because there is no buyer protection. Sites with other payment options are all out of stock.
They explain that PayPal will not allow Munitions to be sold, so that is the compromise. It does not make sense, but someone here has more experience than I do and might know if this
is standard practice. It seems to be a common theme on a variety of sites that sell Pyrodex and percussion caps. Any experience would be greatly appreciated, thank you
There’s a reputable vendor in TX - Antique Traders something or other that has #11 caps and is very reasonable. Google them..,

No not "frowned upon"... specifically prohibited in the rules. ;)

CORRECT. The Forum does not need somebody prohibited from possession of "ammunition components" or some bad actor bent on a terror act, acquiring components for a "device" or learning how to fashion components to create such a device, by participation here. Since we have no real way of knowing who might be such a person, we cannot screen them out, BUT we can stop public discussion and sales here.

What folks do in a private setting is... private.

LD
I was attempting to not come down too heavy, its all part of my 12 step addiction to black powder program!! 🤣

My experience is that you will get ripped off. I fell for the same scam a year ago. You can get them now from Cabela's and Bass Pro but at the higher going rate.

My experience is that you will get ripped off. I fell for the same scam a year ago. You can get them now from Cabela's and Bass Pro but at the higher going rate.
There's a reason people are using friends and family!! TO AVOID BIDENS TAX HIKES ON THE SMALL SELLER!! GAB has an alternative to PaylessPal>>>>GABPAY.

Bought these two yesterday at Cabela's in Gonzales Louisiana. I haven't seen any here in maybe 2 years. They were 13.99$ a tin but I'm shooting. Hopefully things are easing up some.

Attachments

• 20221011_140456.jpg
    20221011_140456.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm late to the party, and haven't read through the replies so i'm sure you've found a solution, but Powdervalley has musket caps in stock, a little on the pricey side at $120/1K, but they're available. You'll have to source replacement nipples to run the musket caps, but that shouldn't be too hard. The other option is one of those 209 primer conversions that will allow you to run 209 shotgun primers. I've been seeing good 209 primer availability. I bought a case of 5K during the shortage because I thought it wouldn't hurt to have some on hand just in case one day they would be a good solution when nothing else was available.

2nd, i'm kinda jelly about your new rifle. I've wanted one of those big bore double rifles for a while, just never really had the funds available for the purchase because I wanted one, but always ended up spending the money elsewhere....like my go kart racing habit.

Branden

I know that. However, that is the way we are going from here on in due to the tax on the small time sellers!
It's difficult if not impossible to start a small one-person business; as soon as you get on the"radar" every entity comes after you for taxes, fees, licenses, etc. We need to patronize those small businesses that offer muzzle loading stuff as this is a small niche market. :)

Latest posts

Back