• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Every Website that "has" caps seems to be a scam

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for some percussion caps and when I search and go to the site that says they have them on stock...they accept payment only from some or all of these methods, PayPal (friends and family I would guess), Venmo, Zelle. Cash App...in other words only methods that you can't come back on them when they rip you off. No credit card option.

After I see that on the checkout page, I use the site "scam-detector" and run their site name through. None of them were out of the caution area and some were at the 0 out of 100 scale. Most "had" CCI #11s for $4.99. I guess the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Why the scarcity?

I just submitted an inquiry on CCI's website asking when they will be availabel again...I'll post their response when (and if) I get one
I tried two sites and found that exact same scenario, you also had to purchase a minimum of $150.00 worth of goods. One site I got into one of those chats with a rep, told him I don't do any of the purchasing options offered, was given a phone #, called and some fellow that sounded chinese asked for my credit card number.
I backed out of the deal right there!
I was looking for Winchester 180gr., .350, Power point bullets and they were the only two sites out of dozens I checked that claimed to have them in stock, and at a price that was way below current prices. I did notice they also had caps at a very low price.
Be careful out there!
Robby

Dunham's sucks nuts. I would not buy spit from them. I have had trouble with that store a couple of times. First time my wife was going to buy a rifle from them and they accused her of trying to buy it for me. Just because she was a girl buying her own gun. Second, we tried to do a refund because of an item manufactured shotty and they refused the refund.

Do not shop at Dunham's in Cadillac, MI they suck.
Dunham's hires college kids who don't give a -- near me and it takes forever to check out......but caps are caps haha

Last edited:
I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around a nation wide percussion cap shortage.....

Besides the hoarding, are there really that many people shooting percussion firearms??

Or does CCI and Remington make the same batches of caps that have been enough for probably 50 years and now all the sudden people are sweeping shelves bare of 1830s firearms technology

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around a nation wide percussion cap shortage.....

Besides the hoarding, are there really that many people shooting percussion firearms??

Or does CCI and Remington make the same batches of caps that have been enough for probably 50 years and now all the sudden people are sweeping shelves bare of 1830s firearms technology
I have heard that percussion caps make up only a tiny portion of sales for CCI and Remington especially. It’s not a high priority for them, they just don’t make much money at it. I personally don’t think there’s been any increase in traditional BP shooting, kinda holding its own. The manufacturers cater much more to the inlines and centerfire, that’s where the money is. And the brick & mortar stores carry what sells to most customers. They don’t think about you and me very much.

I still shoot plenty of #11 caps in percussion rifles & pistols for video projects.
I like to keep plenty of caps on hand for such adventures.

Want to know why it happens?
In a normal year they produce about as many caps as they expect will be sold, there’s no huge surplus and there’s no capacity to ramp up production. So all of a sudden people who normally buy a hundred now and again get a little nervous about the supply and instead of buying a hundred they buy 2 or 300 and in the blink of an eye they’re gone from everywhere. Once they’re gone from all the local places people have no choice but to order them online and when that happens, instead of buying a hundred they buy a thousand or two thousand because with HazMat that’s the only thing that makes sense.

I just ordered from Cabelas the other day. They had #10, #11, and magnums. At a premium of course, but they were in stock. And they messed up the shipping so I got a double order.

Once things ease up, and they will, stock in plenty. Don't have to get them all at once, but pick up a couple tins now and then and "next time" you'll have plenty. I did this with .22 rimfire when there was none available. I now have enough stored for a lifetime!

Once things ease up, and they will, stock in plenty. Don't have to get them all at once, but pick up a couple tins now and then and "next time" you'll have plenty. I did this with .22 rimfire when there was none available. I now have enough stored for a lifetime!
The bad thing about that IMO is you never know when will “things ease up“. And the way the world is currently, you never know IF things will ease up. The way I look at it is if I can afford it now, I’ll get it now. Our money has less buying power with each passing day.

Looking for some percussion caps and when I search and go to the site that says they have them on stock...they accept payment only from some or all of these methods, PayPal (friends and family I would guess), Venmo, Zelle. Cash App...in other words only methods that you can't come back on them when they rip you off. No credit card option.

After I see that on the checkout page, I use the site "scam-detector" and run their site name through. None of them were out of the caution area and some were at the 0 out of 100 scale. Most "had" CCI #11s for $4.99. I guess the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Why the scarcity?

I just submitted an inquiry on CCI's website asking when they will be availabel again...I'll post their response when (and if) I get one
Crater fireworks.com Jon has #11 caps rws 1075 119.00 per 1000 must purchase pkoder to be able to buy them ive purchased many last few years powder too hes legit!!

Back