• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sorting birdshot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairieofthedog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a quart jar of birdshot at a auction.Looks like it is mostly one size,but i have no idea what size. I would like to use this for turkey hunting if right size.Any ideas on sizing this? Also where is a good place to get smaller bags of birdshot for my muzzleloader.Best shot size for turkeys? Thanks.

Got a quart jar of birdshot at a auction.Looks like it is mostly one size,but i have no idea what size. I would like to use this for turkey hunting if right size.Any ideas on sizing this? Also where is a good place to get smaller bags of birdshot for my muzzleloader.Best shot size for turkeys? Thanks.
If I wanted to know the size of the pellets I would use the table shown in the link Grenadier provided in the post above and use my precision calipers to measure them.

If I didn't have a caliper but I did have access to a ruler I would place 11 pellets next to the ruler's edge in a row so they were touching each other. Moving the first pellet so the place it was touching the zero inch line on the ruler I would then look to see where the last pellet was touching it.

If I multiply the sizes given in the chart by 10 I will get the numbers for the distance the last pellet would be touching. (Remember, the first pellet is at the zero point. That's why we need 11 pellets to get the measurement for a stack of 10 of them. If we were using calipers, we would only have 10 in the stack because the first pellet is being measured as well as the last pellet).

For instance, if the shot size was a # 6, each shot should measure .110" in diameter. 10 X .110" = 1.10". 1.10 is just a shade less than 1 and 1/8" (1.125")so, if the pellets were #6's the last one should be touching the ruler just a little short of being 1 1/8" from the zero.

Likewise, for a stack of #4's it would measure 10 X .130" = 1.300" or just a little less than 1 and 5/16" (1.312")
A stack of #2's would be 1 and 1/2".
A stack of #7's would be 1"

I like #5 for turkeys, okay really it is my go to size for everything except small birds like woodcock, quail, and doves. I like the mass of #4 and the patterning of #6, so #5 is a good compromise.

Not sure how to help you sort that jar.

Not sure if roto-metals sells small bags of shot or not. They seem to be a lot of folks' place for such things.
I have a couple gun shops that sell partial boxes of shells that people bring in, cheap. If I need something I don't normally keep a quantity of, I buy some of those and cut them open for the shot.

Thanks guys,especially Zonie for the ruler trick.I saw the pellet chart but unfortunately I don't have calipers.

Got a quart jar of birdshot at a auction.Looks like it is mostly one size,but i have no idea what size.

Is this NEW shot or is this RECLAIMED shot from a range?

It's important, because reclaimed shot must be handled in a different manner. It's usually has A LOT of whitish coating which is lead oxide, which is the stuff that most easily gives one lead poisoning. So you have to wear rubber gloves, and probably some sort of dust mask, and handle it gently. Adding a little oil to the container of reclaimed lead will halt the oxidation if you thoroughly mix it with the shot, but then you have oily shot. So some folks omit the oil. Often the shot is a bit deformed too, having been launched once, which means not as dependable for patterns.

LD

It's important, because reclaimed shot must be handled in a different manner. It's usually has A LOT of whitish coating which is lead oxide, which is the stuff that most easily gives one lead poisoning. So you have to wear rubber gloves, and probably some sort of dust mask, and handle it gently. Adding a little oil to the container of reclaimed lead will halt the oxidation if you thoroughly mix it with the shot, but then you have oily shot. So some folks omit the oil. Often the shot is a bit deformed too, having been launched once, which means not as dependable for patterns.

LD
Dave,luckily it is unused and is clean as a whistle.For a dollar I think I can get some use out of it.

I'd still size it though, so you know what you have, if it's 7 1/2, 8, and 9 mix I would use it for trap or small varmints.
If it's 2 - 6 I'd use it on game, law permitting any size restrictions that may apply.

LD
The white lead oxide can be removed by soaking the shot in vinegar. The lead oxide will change to lead acetate, which is water soluble. Rinse the shot a few times with water and dry it.

You don't want any lead compounds on your shot if you're hunting - just elemental lead.

I've always been a #6 guy. I use #6 birdshot for squirrels, pheasants, and turkeys. Kills them all.

I too would do as Carbon 6 suggests and just shoot it the way it is. Or if anything measure just a couple pellets if it seems like there are only two or three sizes mixed together. Duplex, and even triplex loads work very well.

If I had to pick one shot size to shoot everything with, it would be magnum #4.
IMO, it has the best all around combination of pattern density, penetration, distance and killing power.

If I had to pick one shot size to shoot everything with, it would be magnum #4.
IMO, it has the best all around combination of pattern density, penetration, distance and killing power.
I don't understand how Magnum #4s correlate's to muzzleloader shot?

Lawrence makes a hardened lead shot they call "Magnum". It comes in different sizes of shot in 25 pound bags. I use their shot in muzzleloader and modern shotgun shells. Their "magnum" shot is harder and doesnt deform as bad as soft lead shot. It also doesnt lead a barrel as bad as soft lead shot. That may be the "Magnum" shot he is referring to. It has been around for years.

Another for size #6, particularly with a 20ga muzzleloader using 1 to 1 1/8 oz loads. IMO, it’s a nice balance of pattern density and pellet energy/penetration, particularly if you want pellets in the turkeys head/neck area at 20 yards as well and rabbits, squirrels, and pheasant, 7 1/2 or 8’s for smaller game birds .

Latest posts

Back