• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sorting birdshot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another for size #6, particularly with a 20ga muzzleloader using 1 to 1 1/8 oz loads. IMO, it’s a nice balance of pattern density and pellet energy/penetration, particularly if you want pellets in the turkeys head/neck area at 20 yards as well and rabbits, squirrels, and pheasant, 7 1/2 or 8’s for smaller game birds .

Ditto, as a mere youth I stumbled upon a pallet of shotgun shells marked down at Gibson's Discount. Among them were several boxes of "Nitro Magnum #6, 2 3/4". I didn't have any cash (the curse of the working class) but I had initiative. I moved about 30 boxes from the stack and "buried" the #6's in the middle.

Come payday I went back and my stash was still hidden. IIRC they were $2.00 each. I still have half a box.

The point is those #6's were Death on turkeys, squirrels, hen-house raiding varmits, and anything else I pointed at.
My dad felt the same way about #2, but for me its always been #6's.

I like #5 for turkeys, okay really it is my go to size for everything except small birds like woodcock, quail, and doves. I like the mass of #4 and the patterning of #6, so #5 is a good compromise.

When I was a kid, after school I would pick up a shotgun and go hunting. Others played baseball but I hunted. We had pheasants, squirrel and rabbits. I had to buy shells individually, could never afford a whole box. I had to use a shot that was sorta one size fits all. Usually, it was #5. But, occasionally a size #5 1/2 was available. I really liked that for my uses. Don't believe it is available anymore.

When I was a kid, after school I would pick up a shotgun and go hunting. Others played baseball but I hunted. We had pheasants, squirrel and rabbits. I had to buy shells individually, could never afford a whole box. I had to use a shot that was sorta one size fits all. Usually, it was #5. But, occasionally a size #5 1/2 was available. I really liked that for my uses. Don't believe it is available anymore.

I rarely saw a box of 5's, unless it was in a 410. Noumber 4's, 6's, plenty, not many 5's. But we didnt have pheasant...when i went to Nebraska thats all you saw on the shelves was 5's. Pheasant load.

My dad told me of during the depression he didn't recall anytime he bought a whole box of 50 shorts for his 22. He walked to the grocery store and would buy 5, maybe it cost a nickel.
Hope we dont end up in the same shape...
Everyone stay safe. Keep your distance.

I rarely saw a box of 5's, unless it was in a 410. Noumber 4's, 6's, plenty, not many 5's. But we didnt have pheasant...when i went to Nebraska thats all you saw on the shelves was 5's. Pheasant load.

My dad told me of during the depression he didn't recall anytime he bought a whole box of 50 shorts for his 22. He walked to the grocery store and would buy 5, maybe it cost a nickel.
Hope we dont end up in the same shape...
Everyone stay safe. Keep your distance.

When it comes to livin off the land ... mine will be with a 22LR scoped. Till then, I plan to continue playin like they lived off the land in the 1700's and 1800's. But one weapon will always stay with me is my 22.

The white lead oxide can be removed by soaking the shot in vinegar. The lead oxide will change to lead acetate, which is water soluble. Rinse the shot a few times with water and dry it.

You don't want any lead compounds on your shot if you're hunting - just elemental lead.

The lead acetate is also very toxic and the danger is it getting in through the skin and breathing any of the dust. Wear proper PPE and dispose of at a hazmat collecting station.

If it were me, I would not bother trying to get the lead oxide off with the vinegar. It's not worth the risk.

Latest posts

Back