• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SMR Butt pl question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4570tc

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK a quick question. Southern Mountain Rifle butt plate; in the curve 1 screw or 2 screws?

I will use 1 in the comb return. but questing how many total?

Though I've never seen a mountain rifle , with three screws in the butt plate , I can't rule it out. The whole premise of a SMR is economy of time in build , and economy of time making it's metal parts. If the butt plate doesn't fit as well as it might , instead of installing another screw , fix the butt plate fit. Dunno , just grasping at straws to discover why the third screw? No offence meant , trying to help.

And it just isn't smrs either. I have seen original fusil de chasse with one in the upper finial, one in the heel and one at the toe. Looked like original work.

Though I've never seen a mountain rifle , with three screws in the butt plate , I can't rule it out. The whole premise of a SMR is economy of time in build , and economy of time making it's metal parts. If the butt plate doesn't fit as well as it might , instead of installing another screw , fix the butt plate fit. Dunno , just grasping at straws to discover why the third screw? No offence meant , trying to help.
Some were barn guns, made as economical as possible, some were high grade guns even on the plain side. I might compare them to Hawkins of Saint Louis. They made the plain no frills Mountain rifle, very elegantly, and they made dainty rifle’s comparable to the light Ohio style Vincent was famous for.
You could say SMR and mean sans entry thimble and buttplate or a super elegant but plain style that sported silver mountings and every level in between.

Jerry noble has a 4 volume set of smrs. Bill ivey also has an excellent book on NC rifles with a good section on mountain rifles. Lots of information and pictures in those books I highly recommend them.

I had a Bean rifle come through my shop some years ago that had coin silver for mounts. The triggerguard was your typical hand hammered iron with silver riveted on the exterior surface. Also had a back action lock
It's pictured in one of Jerry novels books.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up using 1 Large screw in the curve. But the top return is Very High peaked , almost an inverted "V". Didn't like the screw up there, Looked out of place. So I welded up the screw hole, and welded a long tab to pin it to the stock, I will shorten it properly, inlet it and pin it!!!

Thank you ALL!!!!

Back