• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothie Rating

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quality components but how well done? And how well cared for? For $3K I would need to personally inspect it first. It is not like you are buying a production gun where certain things can be assumed about it. Nor a new gun still in its first sheen of oil. TOTW seems to enjoy a good reputation, and that is helpful. But it's a lot of money if the gun just doesn't suit you.

Guess though if you are not happy with it after inspecting it, you are only out the money to return it.

My personal "ouch" for a rifle is a lot less money than $3,000.

I would have to look at it in hand. 3K for a well executed rifle is reasonable. The architecture and inletting look good from what I can see from the photos. My personal preference only here but I am not a fan of the trigger or the ramrod tip. I would prefer to see a tapered ramrod that fills the gap below the nose cap. I would be looking at this gun in the $2100 range. I purchased a beautiful Mike Brooks Lehigh with carving and brass side opening patch box for a few hundred more than this particular gun. When you get into this price range you are looking at custom guns. Put a wanted ad out for what you want and your budget and someone will have something. $3000 to $3500 will buy you a peach of a gun built by a well known maker. Especially in this economy. My humble opinion only. If you love the looks of this one go for it. I would expect it to have been fired and properly functioning. Don't ever wanna buy a problem.
James

This is an opinion:
SOLANCO was being polite. JamesT has good advice.
Three grand is too much money for what I was able to discern from the pictures TOW provided.
If it was me, I'd pass - a guy can do better for that amount of money.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions gents. I appreciate your time and opinions. Im looking but not sure whether I want a smoothie or a rifled bore. Im gonna just keep looking around.

Quality components but how well done? And how well cared for? For $3K I would need to personally inspect it first. It is not like you are buying a production gun where certain things can be assumed about it. Nor a new gun still in its first sheen of oil. TOTW seems to enjoy a good reputation, and that is helpful. But it's a lot of money if the gun just doesn't suit you.
Agreed..., except while TOW has a good rep, I've seen them not "vet" the guns for sale, and have witnessed MANY a rifle with excellent carving while having a poor lock to stock fitting, OR an obviously pre-made stock where the builder was supposed to reduce the wood to the rear of the lock, but didn't do so...YET want's top dollar.

Carving is fun, basic fitting is not nearly as fun, and (imho) too many hobby builders neglect the basics of lock to stock fitting, so they can get to the fun stuff. IF you neglect the basic portion, (again imho) then you have no call to ask a lot of $$$ for your carving on the buttstock. Might as well simply get a block of curly maple and carve that as a display piece for a curio cabinet.

To get $3K from me, the wood to metal fit of the lock in the mortise would need to be very very good, and the lock mortise would need to have a clearly defined edge, not rounded where it transitions from the flat where the lock sits to the rest of the stock. Side plate too. There is no real closeup photo of the lock in the mortise, so I can't begin to guess how well it was done.

SO FAR it does look like a well made piece.....

LD

Ive bought from Track before but I think they have changed somewhat on how they take pictures. I dont think they take near as many of the gun as before. Im not sure if one was to send an email if they would send more out of areas requested.

From what I see it appears to be a nice, decent gun. But that does not make it worth $3,000. I never paid anywhere near that for any two of the ones in my safe.

"What's it worth?" That's a question I got asked several times a day when I ran the gun shop... and it isn't easy to answer. First, the question kind of assumes that the value of the cash involved is a universal constant. It isn't. A dollar to me is worth considerably more to me than it is to somebody who has a gajillion dollars.

If you are looking for a gun exactly like that, if you have sufficient funds to buy it without having to hock your guns, get rid of the cats and sell pictures of your wife's (.Y.) on the Internet, then maybe it is worth that to you, but not to me. I would want it in 16 gauge, for one thing, and even if it was a 16 gauge, that's a couple year's worth of saving for me, so no deposits to my Roth IRA and no other toys for two years.

The true market value of anything is whatever the market will pay for it. Watch the item and see what it sells for. Then you will know the answer to the question of "What's it worth." Otherwise, buy it. If you buy it, it was worth what they were asking, nicht wahr?

The value is the price it will bring. Would you be willing to lay this much down, I can’t
You have ten days to inspect it and return if not satisfied
In general guns are poor investment
I have high respect for Track, I think they will treat you right. But the only question is is it worth it to you

Remember that when TOTW sells a gun, they get 1/3 of the price, so you are looking at a $2000 gun. It is impossible to evaluate a gun from a handful of pictures, and even with more pictures, you still could not evaluate the shaping of the wood and other minute details which separate the well made custom guns from the journeyman reproductions. With that being said, years ago I passed on a reproduction Dickert being sold by TOTW and have regretted it ever since. So you have heard the opinions, now it is up to you.

Back