• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbores....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Cape gun is a side by side, rifled on one side and smooth on the other.
As Britsmoothy said, a drilling is a side by side shotgun with a rifle barrel down the underside of the rib, so it is centered in the gun left to right.

I think in an over/under configuration it is just called a combo gun.

Re "drilling"...

A drilling is a three-barreled firearm, although I can't say how specific this term is with regard to which barrels are rifled versus smoothbored. The term drilling is derived from German, and is generally translated as meaning "triplet." Note the German word for "three" is dreis. The only guns of this type that I've ever seen had a side-by-side configuration with the third barrel mounted below them on center.

As someone else pointed out recently in a thread about patch material, "pocket drill" (a strong, heavy fabric), which is also sometimes described as "drilling," is called that because it is woven with a combination of three threads instead of the usual two (warp and weft).

Interestingly, twill (the fabric) is called that because it is woven with a doubled thread. The word "twill" is cognate with other English words combining the /tw/ + vowel, referring to the number two, e.g. twice, twain, twin, etc. Even the English word "two" follows this pattern in spelling, although the /w/ is now silent when the word "two" is pronounced.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with your last point, or even most of your points.

On the Boone issue I just finished a great book on him and in it was relayed a story about the siege of Boone’s Burrough.

An Indian was high in a tree lobing round balls into the fort from over 200 yards away and Boone had to call for someone to bring a rifle to him so he could attempt the shot.

Smooth rifles were very common in that day, and I suspect he appreciated their advantages as much as the next frontiersman.
You don’t have to agree with anything I’ve said! I stated an opinion and stand by what I stated! Smoothbores good for pheasants and ducks!

Excellent information.
Thank you.

I've always wanted a drilling. Out of my reach financially though.

If I had my own property to hunt here I would be interested in one of these,
Doppelbüchs-Drilling - (Double Rifle Drilling) Two side-by-side rifle barrels over one shotgun barrel, but cartridge.all.. Two .44 magnum rifled barrels for deer and a small bore shotgun barrel for small game.

Excellent information.
Thank you.

I've always wanted a drilling. Out of my reach financially though.

If I had my own property to hunt here I would be interested in one of these,
Doppelbüchs-Drilling - (Double Rifle Drilling) Two side-by-side rifle barrels over one shotgun barrel, but cartridge.all.. Two .44 magnum rifled barrels for deer and a small bore shotgun barrel for small game.
Regulating a double rifle is no easy thing. Could be tricky soldering on the third barrel while maintaining the regulation.

Regulating a double rifle is no easy thing. Could be tricky soldering on the third barrel while maintaining the regulation.
Oh, I understand that. Truly just a fantasy on my part.

Always wanted a drilling, out of budget. Always wanted a double rifle. I figure I mostly hunt upland game with an antique SxS or a flintlock, so why not have my deer rifle match the handling of my most used cartridge fed hunting gun. But, definitely not in budget and almost never made in suitable deer hunting cartridges.
And I understand that a large part of the expense is craftsmanship, including how difficult it is to get them properly regulated.
I thought about one of the SxS muzzleloading rifles but they just don't have the same allure.

Oh, I understand that. Truly just a fantasy on my part.

Always wanted a drilling, out of budget. Always wanted a double rifle. I figure I mostly hunt upland game with an antique SxS or a flintlock, so why not have my deer rifle match the handling of my most used cartridge fed hunting gun. But, definitely not in budget and almost never made in suitable deer hunting cartridges.
And I understand that a large part of the expense is craftsmanship, including how difficult it is to get them properly regulated.
I thought about one of the SxS muzzleloading rifles but they just don't have the same allure.
Through pure dumb luck I acquired an old German Cape gun. Exquisitely made, but with a lot of Teutonic flourish. It is as ornate as a black forest cuckoo clock. 16 GA x some obscure rifle caliber that would require custom made dies to load for. It is a hammer gun with the trigger guard apparently carved from some sort of horn. Very teutonic engraving of animals and birds.
I'd like to fire the shotgun barrel, but where do you find 2 inch cartridges?!?

Latest posts

Back