• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbores....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don’t have to agree with anything I’ve said! I stated an opinion and stand by what I stated! Smoothbores good for pheasants and ducks!
not a Duck Or Pheasant but I don't want to be shot at my a smoothbore or rifle just saying

I'd like to fire the shotgun barrel, but where do you find 2 inch cartridges?!?
Try a company called, RST Classic Shotshell Co. Inc.

Not sure about 2" but they make a nice 2 1/2" shell that I need for one of my antique 16 gauge guns, so they might.
The only other 2" shells I've seen are imported buckshot shells for 12 gauge.

Through pure dumb luck I acquired an old German Cape gun. Exquisitely made, but with a lot of Teutonic flourish. It is as ornate as a black forest cuckoo clock. 16 GA x some obscure rifle caliber that would require custom made dies to load for. It is a hammer gun with the trigger guard apparently carved from some sort of horn. Very teutonic engraving of animals and birds.
I'd like to fire the shotgun barrel, but where do you find 2 inch cartridges?!?
you can buy 2 inch shells just do a google search

Or you can just carry two guns.

On a side note, I just had my best grouping out of my 20 smoothbore after months of experimenting with different loads. With a patched roundball and 75+ grains of 2f, I was consistently hitting about 12” right of center at 25 yards.

This weekend, I decided to try 65 grains with a powder card, a wonder pad, a roundball with another powder card. Nothing but bullseyes at 25-40 yards. It shot like a different gun! I was totally excited and relieved… I thought I’d have to bend the barrel.

Attachments

• 90B255AD-5C0E-4731-8DA0-38F553A79F34.jpeg
    90B255AD-5C0E-4731-8DA0-38F553A79F34.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
NICE ringneck pheasant. Even though I've visited the midlands twice, I must admit to being surprised to see pheasant in England. Good for you.

Gus
Pheasants around here are thicker than Fleas on a Hedge Hogs back.
600 to covert here. Local game Farm raises something like 20/25,000.
Nice roast with Red currant and Port sause..or just Fried breasts. O.D.

Pheasants around here are thicker than Fleas on a Hedge Hogs back.
600 to covert here. Local game Farm raises something like 20/25,000.
Nice roast with Red currant and Port sause..or just Fried breasts. O.D.
Sounds great!

One of the few things I miss from growing up in Iowa and moving permanently to Virginia is no Pheasant Hunting and eating here.

Gus

Years ago there was a gun store in < I think Anaheim Ca. They had a Drilling and said it was the rifle the Indian had in Jerimiah Johnson I didn't have the money then, still don't

Does anyone have any good pictures of a muzzleloading drilling, specifically of the action? Pretty obvious how a two tube combo gun works, of any configuration, but adding a 3rd tube seems problematic.

It would be nice if they made 16 gauge mini-shells. But I have only seen them in 12 (and 20 ga if I remember right). But one can get brass or plastic cases and cut them down to size. The brass ones is probably more period correct too. I don’t know if snyone makes paper shells anymore. But paper shells would maybe the easiest to modify.

Does anyone have any good pictures of a muzzleloading drilling, specifically of the action? Pretty obvious how a two tube combo gun works, of any configuration, but adding a 3rd tube seems problematic.

Here they talk about drillings. The guns have been made with up to five barrels too. These are still popular in some parts of Europe where civilians are still restricted to one gun. So pretty much the rich are the only ones who hunt so they get one custom gun to do it all with. If you can only own one gun you make it a really nice one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_gun

I am a novice at all of this but I love my .56 T/C - any advice at further ranges? My aggregate for the territorial had a 100yard target and i had a hard time connecting
20230402_170309.jpg

Back