• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonahhex45

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am seeing if it possible to get a Antonio Zoli Zouave bored out to 69 smoothbore or if the barrel can be swapped for a 69 caliber one. It is for a Macon style 42.

The Zouave's were probably never issued during the war. I believe some parts that might have been a Zouave were excavated somewhere around Richmond. A Macon 42 would be based off of a 1842 Springfield. If you ask on the NSSA forum, someone will email you a spec sheet depending on what length barrel you are interested in. Good luck in your quest!

Yeah, the Remington "Zouaves" were never issued; the good supply of minty-condition ones in the late 50's led to lots of guys shooting and getting into N-NSA. I've examined an original recently, and the workmanship and materials quality is way above the repros, not that repros are bad or anything. I want to have my 42 repro made into a Macon; I tried Lodgewood but they had a major article in the NRA magazine and got so swamped with work, they can't take anymore! Oh, well, I've got others to use!

I never thought of having a Zoli Zouave bored out! Always interesting concepts posted here!
I bought a Pedersoli Zouave a year ago with the idea of having it bored out .62 or .69 and jug choked. The gun in it’s current state is incredibly heavy for it’s size.
I would prefer to have a repro Macon Conversion, but those are almost Unobtanium, so the Zouave is my second choice.
I have not gotten off my butt to send the barrel off to Mr. Hoyt yet, though.

I gotta contact Mr. Hoyt and see if; 1. I can get my Zouave bbl. bored out to rifled .69; or, 2. bored out to smooth bore .69. Just a thought, but I have enough rifled muskets that it may be fun to make a fantasy one, they're short and handy. Handsome, too. Not all Zouaves are equal; some had better quality stocks, fitting, wood to metal, etc., etc. I had two or three before I found my current one which is really tight and solid.

I bought a Pedersoli Zouave a year ago with the idea of having it bored out .62 or .69 and jug choked. The gun in it’s current state is incredibly heavy for it’s size.
I would prefer to have a repro Macon Conversion, but those are almost Unobtanium, so the Zouave is my second choice.
I have not gotten off my butt to send the barrel off to Mr. Hoyt yet, though.
Several years ago at a Cabela's, I saw on the rack, one of those Macon repros, just a regular retail offering. Thought it was cool, but was just not in the market at the time. I'd like to get my rifled M42 "Macon-ized" someday! I'm just not fond of really long muskets and rifles at this stage of life, and don't re-enact anymore where authenticity is a factor.

Back