• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore musket flint not hitting frizzen at angle !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webb116054

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a problem that I can not figure out how to solve ! I purchased a Belgain smooth bore musket and the flint hits the frizzen straight on and not at an angle, which breaks the flints. Also, the sparks go over the pan instead of into the powder charge , which prevents it from firing ! How hard will it be to heat and bend the hammer about 1/8 inch to make the flint hit at an angle ?

As some have said, shim the flint. A matchstick or short piece of leather thong under the flint at the jaw screw will often lower the striking edge of the flint lower for a better striking angle. It is an easy first approach to adjusting the striking angle.

I have a problem that I can not figure out how to solve ! I purchased a Belgain smooth bore musket and the flint hits the frizzen straight on and not at an angle, which breaks the flints. Also, the sparks go over the pan instead of into the powder charge , which prevents it from firing ! How hard will it be to heat and bend the hammer about 1/8 inch to make the flint hit at an angle ?
Some good "band-aid" suggestions above. I've used most of them.
In more direct answer to your question, my understanding is that it is not that difficult, but full disclosure = I have not done it myself.
I do have a gun that could use a little bit of similar adjustment. Currently I am using the flint bevel down and it helps,,, but I'm not having the drastic negative results you are.
I have two questions regarding the flintcock adjustment procedure for those who have done it that keep me from trying it.
First, what is the process of rehardening the spot that was heated and bent? If any.
Second. If I bend so the edge of the flint is pointed downward more, it will hit lower on the frizzen,,, can I stretch the flintcock upward then bend the jaws to point more downward in order to account for the lower flint edge? I would assume it can be done, but I don't have confidence that I could do it without messing something else up.

And as said above, pictures of the lock in question would help. Ideally 3 pictures, one at full cock, one at half, and one fully lowered.

And as said above, pictures of the lock in question would help. Ideally 3 pictures, one at full cock, one at half, and one fully lowered.
Please show the cock (hammer) with the frizzen open at rest, and the frizzen closed at half, and full cock. It should include the flint and what you are using to hold the flint.

A shorter flint will change the angle of attack. I notch my flint leathers to allow setting the flint further back in the jaws.

Back