• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I played around and messed up my flint. I have quite a few black snd amber color.
Didn't know if I was going to get it right or not. It either hit the frizzen straight on or way low and wouldn't knock frizzen open. The worst thing was all the flints look the same size as old one side by side. I turned them flipped them held v them out a little to make the work as if they were longer. Ended up getting it but the flint is upsidedown.
Lowering the hammer the flint hits 3/4the way up and the hammer/flint have a slight angle downward. Is it always like this?
Large siler
Flints are 3/4 wide and 7/8 long (correct) for lock?
The one on right was original and I knapped it once successfully and then today messed it up.
No magic to it, your just after a good healthy spark into the middle of the pan! As for
Flint-Knapping, find one you don't care so much for and practice on it. Take a look at Duelist1954 video on YT "Putting the Flint in Flintlocks" it's a good one to learn from.

I played around and messed up my flint. I have quite a few black snd amber color.
Didn't know if I was going to get it right or not. It either hit the frizzen straight on or way low and wouldn't knock frizzen open. The worst thing was all the flints look the same size as old one side by side. I turned them flipped them held v them out a little to make the work as if they were longer. Ended up getting it but the flint is upsidedown.
Lowering the hammer the flint hits 3/4the way up and the hammer/flint have a slight angle downward. Is it always like this?
Large siler
Flints are 3/4 wide and 7/8 long (correct) for lock?
The one on right was original and I knapped it once successfully and then today messed it up.
Take look at the diagrams on top of TOW's page. I explains how to determine the proper size flint and seating it into the lock;

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/178/1/FLINTS

Tom Fullers are what I'm using. I hot some French amber too I think that's the name of them.
But like others have stated; your not seating the flints fully back.

Once you measure for your lock's flint size (first diagram) then when you mount the flint with leather, or lead, your flint will be pushed forward due to the pad, then you have to cut/punch a hole in the middle so the flint can push back against the screw.

Leaving a space between the back of the flint and the jaw screw will let the flint 'float', rock back and forth, even drift back and that will chew a flint up fast, and the frizen face.

Trying a video remember my flint post. I tried then and couldn't. I'm a computer idiot. Don't know what I did but it worked. Look below next post. The lock seems fast to me

Last edited:
Here's a video I hope of my flintlock
Looks like a good spark to me, not sure if it matters about the speed as long as it ignites the flash pan powder. (Click the 3 little dots on the right just below the video to adjust the playback speed and pick 0.5, you can see plenty of spark in that pan) :thumb:

Last edited:
Back