• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Match in Near Future?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maven, we currently offer 4 categories: Rifle Offhand, rifle benchrest/supported, pistol offhand and pistol benchrest/supported. Are you suggesting adding another smoothbore category to the current monthly match using the same target?

if it’s going to be a smoothbore match then it should be truly a smoothbore with no rear sight. Otherwise we can all just continue as is and use whatever gun we want for the postal shoots and just identify what gun we use. I’ve used my smoothbore for the postal shoots. More challenging but just as much fun. Seems like it would be a lot easier for Gary keeping track of things.

if it’s going to be a smoothbore match then it should be truly a smoothbore with no rear sight. Otherwise we can all just continue as is and use whatever gun we want for the postal shoots and just identify what gun we use. I’ve used my smoothbore for the postal shoots. More challenging but just as much fun. Seems like it would be a lot easier for Gary keeping track of things.
Thanks PK - good suggestion and I have no problem adding a smoothbore category like you suggested (no rear sights) and shot offhand or bench at 25 yards.

All, I really like the "no rear sight" option for SB's if we embrace a SB match. My trade gun lacks one, but you quickly get used to it and adapt (sort of like shooting a bow and arrow without sights). Truth to tell, I've come to prefer the absence of a rear sight and my trade gun needs some "exercise." Last, but not least, a big Thank You to Gary and PK for considering this.

Anyone who wishes to submit a target using a smoothbore with no rear sight, offhand or benched/supported, go right ahead and follow the sames rules as rifle and pistol. Will be interesting to see how many enter targets!

if its truly to be a smooth bore not only no rear sight but no set triggers and must be flint lock

Back