• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Flintlock idea.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim gray

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's an idea I've been kicking around for a while and am looking for some feedback from you, the forum members, before I committ to it.

For starters I was looking for a Green Mountain drop-in .62 caliber smoothbore barrel for a T/C Renegade. I found a shop not too far from here that will order the barrel for me.

The idea kind of evolved the other day when I found a site where there were replacement stocks for the T/C Renegade. They had full stocks that should work with the GM barrel. If I got the stock first I could finish it (I hope) before the barrel came in.

My question is how traditional would a fullstocked smoothbore be with a 30-32" barrel, and eventually a L&R lock and a single trigger, perhaps? I don't think that the Renegade's set triggers would fit the final product too well.

I don't know how trad. it would be but WHO CARES?

I have a .62 smoothbore on order for my TC renegade also. The Renegade is not very traditional or PC but I love it and love to shoot it. Can't wait to shoot the smoothbore also.

Go for it.

You might get some looks if you took it to an F&I or American Revolution reenactment but I doub't you planned on doing that.

Greg

I have had the same idea with the renagade that I have. I ended up buying a smoothbore flintlock but I am going to restock my renegade with a full stock curly maple sometime soon after I get my honey dew list knocked down.

Then all you'd have left of the Renegade would be that little tang that the hooked breach hooks into. Why not start from scratch? ::

I don't know how trad. it would be but WHO CARES?

I have a .62 smoothbore on order for my TC renegade also. The Renegade is not very traditional or PC but I love it and love to shoot it. Can't wait to shoot the smoothbore also.

Go for it.

You might get some looks if you took it to an F&I or American Revolution reenactment but I doub't you planned on doing that.

Greg

Bought a GM .62cal Flint smoothbore drop-in for a Hawken stock...got it for turkey hunting and like it a lot...just need to get turkey to cooperate...gonna try again Saturday!
:redthumb:

NOTE:

If you order directly from GM, you'll pay full MSRP...order through a supplier and save some money...ie: I ordered my GM barrels through Ed Cain, Cain's Outdoor, West VA.
You'll possibly need to have some .62cal supplies thrown in anyway, and given the shipping costs for that heavy barrel, the other stuff will probably ride for free

"I don't know how trad. it would be but WHO CARES?"

Evidently the gentleman who ask "how traditional it would be".....

Thanks for the input, everybody. I am not overly concerned with the authenticity of the gun, but would like to be able to carry it to a rondy if I want. The way I am picturing this gun, it would not be recognizeable as a Renegade.

The reason I am not starting from scratch is simply so that I can use the components as they arrive, since I already have a Renegade. If I get the barrel and stock I can still shoot it while I'm finishing the stock. If I get the barrel first I can use it on my Renegade, and if I get the stock first I can use my .58 cal rifled barrel with it until I get my smoothbore barrel.

Another reason for doing it this way is that it will save me a lot of money over buying a completely custom gun, and a lot of effort over building a gun completely from scratch. I think that what I'll end up with is a completley unique, high-quality gun, for substantially less money. Is this just wishful thinking?

I really want this gun whether it is traditional or not, but would like to have something that I can use if I get into reenacting and/or rendez-vous. I'm not even sure I want to do the rondy thing anyway; I've heard way too many PC horror stories. I would like to go to one or two to check them out though.

I do really have to replace that rubber recoil pad on the Renegade though. I am going to add parts until I eventually have two complete guns, one of which will be the fullstocked smoothie and the other the original Renegade (less the rubber recoil pad.)

Most factory guns with a little help can pass muster as being PC or Trad. eliminate obvious modern stuff and it should be ok for most any event that the time frame of the gun is included in.

PC horror stories usually take place on computer forums or at historic sites between egomaniacs that have no real authority, trying to one-up each other or be the alpha dog of the site.

The site director always has the last word and usually was the one that looked at the photos you sent and told you to show up. He is the only one that can tell you to leave.

Rondys are a whole 'nuther world. This is the world of getting started and trying your best. A calico shirt, painters pants and arrow mocs are the standard fare. You can even argue that they had rubber back then and keep the buttplate!

You will see expensive guns on the firing line and you will see box stock CVA Bobcats and Traditions Deerstalkers. 90% of the time it is the shooter that wins the match and not the gun.

As for saving money on your build: the replacement parts for the Renegade will set you back more than the scratch parts for a build. RPL stocks usually need more attention than just switching the parts over and applying sandpaper too. The only advantage is that you are spreading it out over time, and you could do that anyway.

At the least, order the barrel octogon too round and use a fullstock for the replacement. For all the work and $$ involved you deserve more than just a restocked Renegade!!

:m2c: (adjusted for inflation)

what to do? my 2 cts. save your money go to a rondy or a couple local shoots take a good camera - good close up ability, look over and shoot a bunch of different guns, most guys are proud to let you. when you find one that grabs you photo it all you can, talk to the owner what he likes & don't. then build one from scratch. a rebuilt cva is still a cva. the finished price won't be much different compred to the satisfaction and pride. plus it will be original just built a little later. the biggest requirement is patience, it's not just a way to get a gun it's a meditation journey, enjoy it! if it takes less than 6 mos. you're missing the point. good luck clyde

Back