• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth bores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GERMAN PROVERB.jpg

LD

Do you find the hydrogen peroxide mix to corrode the barrel? Must the mix be extensively rinsed? Thanks.
This formula is 'not' my idea;
It was given to me by an old timer at Friendship when I was in my 20s & remains very popular to this day. The bores on all of my original & custom firearms remained clean & bright for decades but as with any subject others will have a better mousetrap.

During most of my shooting years i owned a muzzleloading storefront & had the opportunity to try numerous commercially produced lubes & bore cleaners but none worked better than 'the oldtimer's formula'.

Back when I was competing I seldom needed to wipe the bores on my rifles, pistols or smoothbore between matches because I made sure to develop a snug fitting lubed patched round ball combination for each firearm than produced little to no fouling.

* My favorite patch lube was the same 3-part formula of Alcohol, Murphy's Oil Soap & Hydrogen Peroxide mixed in equal portions.

After cleaning the bore of my .62 cal./20 flint fusil i built some 45 years ago with this formula & using the same to clean the touch-hole area with a pipe cleaner, I follow-up by running a patch lubed with G96 or Ballistol down the bore & wipe down the lock & stock with the same patch before putting back in the safe.
*Now some 45 years later the bores & breeches on all my firearms remain bright as new.

If shooting a rifle or pistol with a hook breach I remove the barrel, nipple & flush the bore with Dawn dish soap & water, dry & oil.
SIDE BENEFIT, THIS STUFF ALSO SERVES AS A GREAT HAND CLEANER AT THE RANGE !
Relic shooter

Anything corrosive need not be used in a m/l barrel, Hp is a corrosive agent. Regular black powder ash is corrosive enough , and hot water can dispell that , then a good oil to stop further rust. My storage area is dry , so after an overnight post cleaning , then stand the muzzle down and one more wipe , I can use simple WD40 , or Balistol , as a storage juice , w/o any rusting. Recheck the bore in 6 wks.

Pshaw! They’re as accurate as a rifle out past (fill in the blank)!
Five hundred yards and they don’t care what you feed them😂
They can do really well but the frustrating part comes from trying to get that well all the time.
We want quarter sized groups and smoothies might do that on a good day. However back in the day a dinner plate sized group was as effective when it comes to defense or hunting. And it ain’t hard to get that group at even seventy five yards.
Little kids, butterflies and smoothies need no excuses

Back