• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth bores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen I have not been at this as long as most you have but I’m beginning to think that these guns are as finicky or more than the
Misses .Sure can be frustrating at times but rewarding when you finally figure them out and I guess they don’t give a fellow s@#t for
Cussing when things are going right.lollolJust thinking out loud and knowing the boss won’t be reading this or hoping she won’t lol.

Gentlemen I have not been at this as long as most you have but I’m beginning to think that these guns are as finicky or more than the
Misses .Sure can be frustrating at times but rewarding when you finally figure them out and I guess they don’t give a fellow s@#t for
Cussing when things are going right.lollolJust thinking out loud and knowing the boss won’t be reading this or hoping she won’t lol.

As much as I like smoothbores, I have to admit that rifles are a lot less trouble.

Funny ... I hear the whole " smoothbores are such a pain " or " smoothbores are so complicated " .... on here all the time.
.I've never got that .....ever . Powder , wad , projectile , wad .....prime and shoot . ...and takes me 8-12 min. to clean . Never saw anything complicated about it . I hope you all get to enjoying your guns ....sincerely . Sorry your having problems . Take care ....

Being on a fixed income I can't afford a collection. I settled on a smoothbore because it is good for everything I hunt and the conditions I hunt in. Clean up is easier then a rifled barrel, no grooves for residue to hide in. I spent a couple of days working up loads that I could hunt with. That was the terrible part shooting a black powder gun for a few hours each day😅.

..Walt. Try some alternatives.
Try a lot more shot.
Try two balls.
Try a stack of large shot. What you got...28g, should be around .550". Try a few #4 buck, say 27 of them.
Personally I would not shoot it from the bench but shoot it off hand at game sized targets to get a real expectation of the abilities.
I do shoot off hand and still gonna try more with it.
I have never had much trouble with them.
with mine I find one little change makes a difference.
Funny ... I hear the whole " smoothbores are such a pain " or " smoothbores are so complicated " .... on here all the time.
.I've never got that .....ever . Powder , wad , projectile , wad .....prime and shoot . ...and takes me 8-12 min. to clean . Never saw anything complicated about it . I hope you all get to enjoying your guns ....sincerely . Sorry your having problems . Take care ....
could be the fact that I’m fairly new to flint locks and then smoothbores to boot.
As much as I like smoothbores, I have to admit that rifles are a lot less trouble.
i have to agree.
Agreed. At least I now feel like I'm not the only one.
me to .

I agree!

@WALT53

What are you trying to accomplish? Balls or shot or both? I'm no expert, but there are experts here, and between the real experts and non-experts I'm sure we can get you shooting straight!

Flint smoothbores are a tad more fun !!
For many years I've shot primarily original big bore rifled Jeagers in competition matches & for long range hunting mainly because I have a fetish for shooting tight groups.
That being said, I get more fun out of shooting the 20ga./.62 cal. French style smoothbore rifle I built & regulated the barrel to be dead-on @50 yds. I've won several 50yd rifle matches with this smoothbore.

Folks I've observed who were having troubles with flint rifles & smoothbores needed their locks tuned, were not using the correct patch & ball combo or both.
Cleaning a flat breached smoothbore is much faster & simpler than a rifled gun with a flat faced breach scraper & a good bore cleaner.
As a former owner of a BP store I continue to use my all-time favorite formula patch lube & bore cleaner given to me about 40 years ago by an old timer at Friendship. I know many of you continue using the same.
The inexpensive 3-part formula is a 1/3rd mixture each of rubbing alcohol, Murphy's Oil Soap & hydrogen peroxide.
This mixture also makes a great hand & frizzen cleaner at the range :thumb:
Relic shooter

Wasn’t meaning they were a pain just finicky for someone new to the old girls,still learning but getting it figured out.

Wasn’t meaning they were a pain just finicky for someone new to the old girls,still learning but getting it figured out.
Oh I know . Just sorry folks are having such troubles or are no enjoying them so much as it seems from their posts I see on here ....

Easy transition from rifled to smooth bore, for me. Load development is crucial. Every gun has a favorite loading, patch, ball size. Half the fun of them, is learning their foibles. Easier to clean, lighter to carry, force you to actually hunt a game animal, not murder it from a half mile off. A thrilling way to spend some time.....From a 100% dedicated, Flintlock Smooth Bore Shooter.

Back