• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoke Rings?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK

Smollett
Reaction score
I've always wondered why firing a flintlock often results in the launching skyward of a smoke ring from the lock area. I've seen it happen both with and without flash guards. My question is, what causes this?

Smollett

I wouldn't say it's limited to just flintlocks....The biggest, badest, and coolest smoke ring I have ever seen came from my cannon... 8 feet in diameter about a foot thick.

Wow, have never had that observation whilst shooting my right & left-handed flintlocks, but all my focus is on the front sight blade all the way THRU the shot, so I'd need a witness to see it.

That said, it could be the design of your flintlock lock, i.e., shape & depth of the pan, etc., profile of the barrel breech area aside it, and even force of any blow-out from the touch hole, to where the combustion by-products and smoke from that particular arm produces the smoke ring effect, in ideal conditions.

I'm curious, too. Ive never seen it from a pan, but have seen my rifle bore blow a few on really humid days. Ive never seen it do that on a dry day.

I've never noticed a smoke ring from my flinters; but then I don't really pay that much attention.

A smoke ring is commonly formed when a puff of smoke is suddenly injected into clear air, especially through a narrow opening. The outer parts of the puff are slowed down by the still air (or by edges of the opening) relative to the central part, imparting it the characteristic poloidal flow pattern.

I've seen this on numerous occasions. Pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Our golf ball cannon makes a sweet smoke ring that is about 3 feet around and drifts opening across the garden until it is around 10 feet around when it reaches the woods on the other side 74 yards away.

Damp days make better rings.

Latest posts

Back