• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smarter than me percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't understand why some enterprising smarter than me compamy/person does not contract/import European percussion caps and primers
...it appears the domestic manufacturers intend to starve out reloading as a long range plan ..with Vista now controlling all major players but the Winchester brand
...I realize there is supposed to be a " new domestic start up" whose past attempts read to be "rocky" at best
...we need more options folks!
BEAR

RWS percussion caps are made in Germany and have been available in the USA for many years. Many shooters like RWS caps. They are a little hotter than CCI or Remington caps. The size #1075 are a compromise between #10 and #11.
Correct about RWS but no one state side ( either the master distributor or the actual RWS employees) seems to have their minds in the game ..like the components side of the business are just a side aggravation
..I was a in a company heavy in importing and we dominated our field by staying A HEAD of the curve ..example: we would be this very moment ordering/scheduling containers for April 2023 delivery ..a year in advance almost ..you have to TELL the manufacture IN advance what when and where to ramp up

a 20 foot container will hold 34,795,000 primers ..about $1,795,750 worth ..beyond my pay grade of course but it is chump change with in the industry ..and the profit to some enterprising entity could easily be in the neighborhood of three quarters of a million

Were I a young buck I sure as heck make a run at it (with partners of course)

Bear

a 20 foot container will hold 34,795,000 primers ..about $1,795,750 worth ..beyond my pay grade of course but it is chump change with in the industry ..and the profit to some enterprising entity could easily be in the neighborhood of three quarters of a million

Were I a young buck I sure as heck make a run at it (with partners of course)
Thlis is perhaps not the best time to be starting an international import company and investing $2M in what is currently high-priced inventory for what is from all appearances a diminishing niche market. Just a thought. :)

Here is what is being said in Europe (RWS is a bit made in Germany :D ) and in Absurdistan, on RWS, about the war in Ukraine and consequently about primary explosives for primers:
- 1) You shoot primers already on the market:
RWS 1075, 1075+, 1081 and 1218 primers have been sold out since March 2022. RWS/RUAG will no longer be able to manufacture and supply primers in 2022.
- 2) Here is the response from an importer, French side:
"...there is no more availability of primers until next year.... manufacturing plants in the ammunition and weapons field are all in demand with massive purchases by the various armies and Nato at this time."

Back to the flintlock planned for not long... ;)

The suggestion and calculation is based on $50/1000 acquisition cost

Also the importation would of essence be both percussion in all sizes as well as the unmentionables primers which are also in short supply

I already build my own caps ..I use toy cap gun dots ..they don't fail to fire but there is a "slowness" to their fire ..
Bear

Yes: Make you own from aluminum cans and toy cap gun ribbons

Price: Tool: $45 (Your chioce of #10 or 11), roll of toy cap gun cap ribbons, 1200 count: $5.00. Makes 1200 caps that fight firmly and work almost %100 of the time

A tin of Remington #10 or #11 percussion caps is selling Gun Broker for around $30 to $35 plus $12 to $20 shipping. $50 shipped for one tin of 100 caps. Fifty cents apiece. I have been watching them for three or four weeks. Getting to be less and less of the Remington and Winchester caps for sale. Probably those that had extra to sell have sold most of them off for a huge profit.

A tin of Remington #10 or #11 percussion caps is selling Gun Broker for around $30 to $35 plus $12 to $20 shipping. $50 shipped for one tin of 100 caps. Fifty cents apiece. I have been watching them for three or four weeks. Getting to be less and less of the Remington and Winchester caps for sale. Probably those that had extra to sell have sold most of them off for a huge profit.

Hence make your own. Screw the price gougers.

Hence make your own. Screw the price gougers.
Agree. I don't mind paying extra as I know they are very hard to find right now and that isn't going to get better anytime soon. No stores around here have them and they are almost non existent at gun shows but paying $50 shipped for a $7 tin of caps is over the top. Over a six hundred percent price hike.

Copied this from another board, read it and weep :eek:

"I contacted Back Creek Gunshop in Winchester. They run the powder barn next to Ft. Shenandoah. The wife said no one has percussion caps of any kind in stock; those that say they do are internet scammers. Clark Bros. in Warrenton hasn't had any GOEX in stock for a long time, and no idea when it will become available again. Same with any type of percussion caps."

I just bought 1000 #10 for my pistol and 1000 musket caps also musket nipples for my rifles already had musket nipples on my sxs and will soon order a cap maker but point being caps are available now but may not be later so stock up Before you ask I paid $120 per 1000 shipping and hazmat included $12 per 100 its a high price but can shoot my guns also if I run low I can shoot my Flintlocks which I do anyway

Latest posts

Back