• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Successful conversion of lead oxide back into pure lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tshaw574

32 Cal
Reaction score
A few days ago, I posted asking for advice/insight on the possibility of converting the left over slag from casting back into pure lead. Well today I had a few hours with nothing to do so I thought I'd give it a try.
To start off, this experiment was in no way scientific. I didn't have access to a scale, thermometer, etc, just the simple tools I had on hand. Everything was eyeballed and a good deal of guestimation was applied. The tools I used were a stainless steel pot, small propane foundry, clay graphite crucible, cast iron mold, hammer, and a bucket.
I began by heating up the slag I had collected in the pot. I strained off whatever residual pure lead was left, and continued to heat the oxide until it became a uniform dark red powder, which turned a bright yellow as it cooled. Next I crushed up some lump charcoal and began pouring equal amounts of oxide and charcoal by volume into the crucible.
Unsure of what temp I needed, I just set the propane regulator to max and cooked the mixture for ~45mins, stopping about 20mins in to add more charcoal. After a bit of poking, I could tell there was liquid in the crucible underneath the coal. After pouring and straining out the left over coal, I ended up with this small ingot. Not whole lot, but enough for a few more .65 cal balls. I also ended up with quite a bit of extra charcoal, so I may have either used too much or didn't heat it long enough.
For reference, I conducted this experiment on my dad's farm out in the country with no nearby neighbors and used a respirator the entire duration. I figured this may be of interest to some people here. Was this economical? No. Was this safe? Not really, but nothing fun is ever safe 😁
Bucket of slag.JPGIMG_E0553.JPGIMG_E0558.JPG

Great experiment. It is fun to try different things. I often do, though they are not efficient or profitable, just to see if I can do them, like growing tobacco when I don.t smoke, in the far north of the United States, just to see its feasibility.

Glad you were safe, worked in the open spaces and wore a respirator, lead oxide powder is noxious stuff.

Still say that as a routine matter in bullet casting, it is not worth the effort to re-recover the metallic lead once oxidized, and investing in a casting thermometer to prevent the oxidation to begin with is the more productive route.

If that ingot you have in your hand is what you report to have recovered, that is an awful lot of lead to have come from lead oxide and you must have had quite a lot. Perhaps at least some of it was still metallic state and trapped in the dross and you didn't get it all out when you did your straining?

If that ingot you have in your hand is what you report to have recovered, that is an awful lot of lead to have come from lead oxide and you must have had quite a lot. Perhaps at least some of it was still metallic state and trapped in the dross and you didn't get it all out when you did your straining?
That is certainly a possibility. I tried to be as thorough as possible when removing the leftover lead from the dross, pouring out what had collected in the pot several times. After my final pouring, I ended up with a very fine oxide powder. I attempted to get some more lead droplets to form but couldn't find any more even after compressing the powder and sifting through it. I may have just gotten lucky with the amount I ended up with. Note, in the attached pic the bit of metallic lead drops in the pot are the product of me spilling my pour while trying to get the final reduced product in the ingot mold Yellow lead oxide.JPG

Been interesting and more scientific to weigh the total oxide you started with and then the lead extracted at the end.

Ill be sure to bring a scale out next time. This was just a spur of the moment experiment to see if it would even work

Latest posts

Back